Diver hit by boat - New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba Diver Hit by Passing Boat - YNN, Your News Now
A scuba diver was hit by a boat on Canandaigua Lake Sunday afternoon.Police say Frank Porter, 63, was diving twenty yards off the shore when a Pontoon boat hit him near the surface.
The driver of the boat helped Porter get to shore, where he was taken to FF Thompson Hospital for a broken right arm.
Police say Porter will be issued a citation for failing to display the proper marker for a scuba diver.

Well that makes me feel better about dragging the GD flag all over the place.... Bummer to have a broken arm and then get a summons.... kind of a double whammy.

Well that makes me feel better about dragging the GD flag all over the place.... Bummer to have a broken arm and then get a summons.... kind of a double whammy.
Too bad the enforcement for wreckless boating/jet-skiing isn't enforced as often as should be. Quite a few divers don't tug along a flag because it just becomes a curiosity/target for said yahoos. :idk:

Too bad the enforcement for wreckless boating/jet-skiing isn't enforced as often as should be. Quite a few divers don't tug along a flag because it just becomes a curiosity/target for said yahoos. :idk:

Maybe someone should design a dive flag with a proximity sensor and a CO2 powered dye-marker.

FTF! I had a dive flag sewn onto my SMB by a cobbler. I keep it rolled up until I need to surface, then it's deployed; viola dive flag!

I can say with 100% confidence that that is why I no longer anchor a dive flag at my primary dive site. I have seen boats get within 10-15 feet of it and jetskiers MUCH closer. The dive flag is a danger in some places since education is lacking (very little on the boaters exam about diving) around here and because some people seem to just not care.

Having said that.....if I am in an area that requires a diver to dive with a flag, I do. I do not assume that means I am safe to surface though. I will still get as close to shore as possible before surfacing.

A little off topic. "..Police say Porter will be issued a citation for failing to display the proper marker for a scuba diver." just curious, what if he doesn't pay his citation? Can they suspend his C card?

Is what happens in most of those cases they will suspend his driver's license or vehicle registration until he pays the citation fine. Bruce

I'm glad the diver didn't get himself killed.
I have a related kind of question that I hope this isn't the wrong place/time to ask.
Yesterday I was fishing one of the islands of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel here in Va and a boat was easing along the edge of the rock island and using his boat to protect a Snorkler that was between the boat and the rocks, the boat was displaying the dive flag on a VHF antenna but was underway keeping up with the snorkeler and also had a person casting /fishing on the bow and stern.
How should I have interpreted this by law or regulation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom