Diver in early-40s dies off Queenscliff, Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_katt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What a sad day....

Diver's body pulled from sea
July 27, 2008 - 3:17PM

The body of a scuba diver has been pulled from the water on Victoria's Bellarine Peninsula.

Senior Constable Terry Rodgers of Queenscliff Police said the man aged in his early 40s was pulled from the water by members of his diving crew about 11.10am.

The man was on a recreational dive off the coast of Queenscliff near the infamous Rip in a group of six, and was wearing correct diving apparatus, Senior Constable Rodgers said.

He was only in the water for a short period before the boat operator noticed the man was in "some sort of trouble".

Rural Ambulance spokesman John Mullen said the man was not breathing when crew members pulled him out of the water onto the dive boat.

They performed CPR but failed to revive him.

Ambulance crews and the air ambulance arrived to find the man deceased, Mr Mullen said."

If any of his friends or family are on the Board, please accept my condolences. I hope they work out what happened, so that they may be given some closure.

Regards

Very sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

Very sad news, and my condolences go out to his friends and family. His identity has not yet been released, but according this article, his wife is currently overseas.

The SS Coogee is a very commonly dived and relatively straightforward wreck site in around 30m (100ft) of water. The swell can pick up a lot in the area, but I don't know what the seas were like out there yesterday.

At least he didn't have oxygen tanks:
Police search and rescue members will test equipment used by the man on the dive, including analysing the air in his air tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom