Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should revoke my last comment, which was tasteless and insensitive - I am very sorry this girl lost her life and was murdered. It must have been a horrrible way to go. I hope they hang Mr. Watson out to dry. Condolences and apologies to any concerned.

leaving aside Guantanamo I presume :)
Ppl in greenhouses etc.

Five years after the murder/accident and still it is like an open wound to the Bride's family.

I did read that the groom has stopped trying to pursue the lawsuit to get the insurance company to pay him. Too bad for him, he could use the money for his defense. OK I am not a fan of Watson just based on reading the stories and factual information released from courts. I know innocent until proven guilty but we can still suspect and doubt the part he played in this tragedy.

DiverBizz, this guy s guilty as hell. I struggle with the fact that people are trying to cut him some slack. He killed his wife, in front of her eyes, in all probabliity watched her die. That must have been an awful awful way to go. I'm a very liberal kind of person, but clearly this guy killed his wife. And on the huge off-chance he's not guilty, then he deserves to be taken out of the gene pool for all sorts of other reasons (poor emergency response, unconvincing misrepresentational skills, fickle memory, bad buoyancy, etc.) I just hope her family get some kind of closure with this. And that people don't try to blame PADI. It has short comings, but so does everyone and everything. People tend to attack success.

Come on. Keep the theories and the guesses coming!!!

More entertaining than watching reruns of CSI Miami on some syndicate channel......

But on a more serious side, we all know diving' s probably one of the best ways to kill someone and get away with it. This man got caught. I wonder how many other "accidents" out there are not what they seem.....

Well, I am just glad I don't have to be on a juror on his trial, if it ever comes to that. As far as blaming PADI I would hope that people can read through the BS that Watson has reported regarding the inability to hold his wife's lifeless body. Being that he dove almost every weekend and had experience in a variety of dive situations (not even referring to his Rescue training), he should have at least inflated her BC.

Any 'adventure' sport is a good way to take someone out. As there's inherent risk, in most cases the unfortunate outcome of that risk willl be assumed the primary factor, indeed as it normally is. I'm sure there's lots of people lying in the grave on the basis of misadventure that really met a more chilling end. Not much one can do to change that. Husbands and wives have been warring forever. No new reg, filter or wing is going to change that. Same story, different place. Someone willing to commit such a misdeed will find their theatre, be it under water or over.

So many opinions. He may or may not be innocent, but I'll wait for the trial and all the evidence to be presented.

What also concerns me is that these "incidents" may do irreparable damage to people's perception about scuba diving in Queensland. We've had a lot of bad publicity lately, with the two divers being "lost" at sea for 20 hours and now this :(

I wish all the evidence could be displayed to the jurors. But we know that at least in the US with a good lawyer you can have evidence suppressed. This year I was a juror for 4 months on a multiple murder trial. The defendant's lawyer was able to get a lot of the evidence (video confession describing where the bodies were, types of guns used, already serving time for other murders, etc.) suppressed. I know this now after the trial. So we shall see if he does go to trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom