Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently this guy used to dive in the Birmingham area.

Any reports of him still diving at Bluewater in Pelham? (this was the quarry that his wife got certified in that they showed on the program).

What I still am not sure of was if he did it intentionally. Like posted above I wondered if the bear hug, assuming it actually happened, could have been him trying to calm her as she panicked and she died as a combination of him crushing her and her hyperventilating and overbreathing what her reg was capable of delivering.

The aborted dive could have been from her panicking the first time. Then he talked her back into the water. The battery story was given to help him and her save face. I believe that was the reason he gave when they aborted the dive, so he stuck with it.

The 2min surface time could have been him trying to work out what happened and think up a story so people wouldn't think he killed her intentinally, which he may have believed he accidentally suffocated her, when it could have been a combo of him squeezing and her overbreathing.

Yes, I think he's guilty. But it still doesn't fully add up as an intentional and premeditated murder. Maybe it was an accident that got out of control, kinda like when a parent shakes a baby to death. Neither pre-planned or intentional nor excusable. Those parents make up crazy stories too.

Trouble is no one really knows and there isn't enough info available to the general public to really decide. That could also be why no charges have been filed, they're not sure yet how to charge him.

My 2psi

Jack

There was so many things in his story that just do not make sence. I know Dateline had to make it good, but, they also have to try and present the truth to not get their pants sued off.

I think the he did it. Bear hugged her turned off her air, drowned her , then turned her air on a let her go ..... for 130K He's a sick person!!!!

I think he did it and he got away with it.

As for the computer. What was shown is a Datatrans. It is possible that the transmitter battery was in backwards which would only affect the pressure reading on the computer. Unless the alarms were turned off then it would have given him audible alarms. It is a rather quick battery change - with his apparent ineptitude with rescue it probably would have taken him 20 minutes not two.

Didn't see anything else plausible in his story.

You should have been a fly on the wall as my wife and I were watching the show. Her ow evaluation dives were while we were on our honeymoon.:wink:

Maybe he didn't directly kill her, but he sure as hell didn't do alot to help her. 2 min to surface from 40' while his wifes drowing? Sending a sweet xmas card to her best friend, This guy's an accredited rescue diver he knows how to save people. If it were my wife, I would honestly say I would have done a hell of alot more to get to her. I have seen stories of divers found still holding eachother. Clear water at 80', and the picture has great visability, since you can see her laying on the bottom. This bear hug theroy could work, especially for a well accredited rescue diver against someone who wasn't so experienced who may think that person was trying to help them. I mean how would she know what he was going to do. Somethings not right here, but he may just get away with it. Only two people really know what happened unfortunatly only one is still alive. With that all we can do is allow our faith in the justice system run It's course.

As for the computer. What was shown is a Datatrans. .

One thing to remember... Dateline could have used just any dive computer for a prop (for that shot...)

They never showed him with that dive computer (to my knowledge). So I haven't seen anything that 100% verified what kinda of dive computer he was using and was the one shown on TV the same one.

I agree totally. I just think that so did everybody else and perhaps you were mistaken in thinking that when people said 'innocent until proven guilty' actually meant that people thought he was *actually* innocent by saying that. That is what I meant by saying semantics. Innocent until proven guilty = presumed innocent until proven guilty is what I am sure everybody here meant :)
No, rereading this thread its clear I was the one didn't get it... :lotsalove: I really shouldn't post after midnight, its too far from my morning coffee :coffee: to be coherent.

No, rereading this thread its clear I was the one didn't get it... :lotsalove: I really shouldn't post after midnight, its too far from my morning coffee :coffee: to be coherent.

Haha I know the feeling :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom