Diver killed on U-boat expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that all you got from that post. My explanation was generally why tech divers don't wear dumpable weights. I am not going to say that you should or shouldn't try to help your dive team member. Its a choice that you have to make in very short period of time under possibly unfavorable conditions.
Nope, but "Your training should prepare you to deal with all emergencies underwater allowing you to return to the surface slowly in controlled manner" doesn't leave much room for help. Pretty cut & dried statement.

Bringing a diver up from a technical dive, where the whole dive team has a decompression obligation is a very risky endeavor. Technical diving itself is full of plenty of task loading without adding into the mix recovery of a diver. The attempt to save your dive team members life might also cost you your own. That is a decision only you can make in that moment, and we cannot fully understand because we were not there. The reason technical divers don't wear dumpable weight is that you should never dump your weight. Your training should prepare you to deal with all emergencies underwater allowing you to return to the surface slowly in controlled manner.

I often have a problem with statement with the word never or always in.

Like in never leave your buddy or always stay with your buddy, no matter what. So I agree with you that you should not put your life at extreme risk to rescue a buddy. If you did, you'd be unable to help him later if you get yourself in trouble and you will complicate the work of rescuers if they have to rescue 2 divers instead of just one.

But if he's gonna die anyway, why not send him up by dumping his weight or otherwise? He has a better chance at the surface than unconscious at depth.

I'm not commenting the incident btw. We cant judge their action since we weren't at their place.

Nope, but "Your training should prepare you to deal with all emergencies underwater allowing you to return to the surface slowly in controlled manner" doesn't leave much room for help. Pretty cut & dried statement.

Are we looking for everyones input on this thread or are we just trying to start fights? I am not here to fight about whether or not he should have dumpable weights, and I really hope your not either.

The reason technical divers don't wear dumpable weight is that you should never dump your weight. Your training should prepare you to deal with all emergencies underwater allowing you to return to the surface slowly in controlled manner.

I think I understand what you mean. They dont wear dumpable weights b/c their training should prepare them to be able to bring themselves or a a victim up by other means if it's possible to do so.

If it's that, it makes sense.

What I meant was that in the case an unconscious diver has dumpable weights on, dumping them would be the last option to choose, but an option nevertheless.

Are we looking for everyones input on this thread or are we just trying to start fights? I am not here to fight about whether or not he should have dumpable weights, and I really hope your not either.
I dunno? Sounds like you're the one who wants to start one if your authority is questioned. Let me know when your [JUDGE] badge is awarded, ok? Hehe, you give [Thanks, that was helpful] awards if you get someone to agree with you; I need to read the instructions again.

I am always interested in learning from others, especially more experienced divers, but dismissing me with that has been less than helpful. Until someone explains a better way, I am going to presume a unconscious diver will die if left behind, so I'm going to attempt to get them up with my own safety limits. How would depend on the situation. What is the plan for an unconscious diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom