Diver Medical form details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone ever had a dive operator reject their medical form because
1. The medical provider was not an MD or DO, but was instead a PA or NP?
2. The medical provider signed the form electronically and you had to print it out?
3. The medical provider used the wrong date format (mm/dd instead of dd/mm)?

Unrelated complaint: the COVID question seems silly at this point. They might as well just skip the questionnaire and make everyone do the physician evaluation since the vast majority of people have had COVID. Unless most people lie about it?

Hi @chrispina

Current version has no Covid question
1713816605082.png

I used a medical examiner's evaluation form last December for a training course on Bonaire. It was an original, signed form from an MD physician. I don't recall how it was dated.

In the introductory paragraph for the questionnaire and in the instructions for obtaining the evaluation, only physicians are mentioned. You could ask your operator if alternative practitioners would be acceptable.
1713817121312.png

I was warned by my LDS about the date format before I got a med form, and had to tell the doctor (med clearance in USA so the date format was non-standard for doctor).

Hi @chrispina

View attachment 837776

I used a medical examiner's evaluation form last December for a training course on Bonaire. It was an original, signed form from an MD physician. I don't recall how it was dated.

In the introductory paragraph for the questionnaire and in the instructions for obtaining the evaluation, only physicians are mentioned. You could ask your operator if alternative practitioners would be acceptable.
View attachment 837784
My dad (divemaster and trip planner) sent me the 2020 form. 😂😂 But it's the one I have signed. So is that going to be a problem now? It took forever to get this one signed and I really don't want to do it again if the form I have will be fine.

I was warned by my LDS about the date format before I got a med form, and had to tell the doctor (med clearance in USA so the date format was non-standard for doctor).
I sent my son in with his form and specific instructions about the date format and the doc still put the US format. 😒

Hi @chrispina

View attachment 837776

View attachment 837784
Do you have a direct link to the 2022 form? Google is giving me the 2020 form from the PADI site.

I think this one is current.

On PAs/Nurse Practitioners, etc: I think PADI's guidance on this has changed. In the past, I called and asked about this since the form said "physician" and they said no, it had to be a doc. So MD or DO is fine.

I think the rationale at the time was that PAs and Nurse Practitioners weren't recognized internationally. (A nurse in some countries has very minimal training, for example, compared to an RN in the USA.)

However, that changed last fall sometime. The current form says MD or any "legally certified medical professional." Not sure I like that language, but I think the intent is good: A nurse practitioner can now sign off.

All that said, if you're traveling overseas it might be best to have a doc sign off...

Attachments

• Medical Form Current April 2024.pdf
    620.7 KB · Views: 31
Here doctors make their own form and it just states: Fit to dive without limitations
And then a valid thrue, valid from. Sometimes you only get it digitally, sometimes printed.
The date format is never a problem in my eyes. I have had: 1 January 2023, 01-11-2024, 01-dec-2024, etc as formats.
Also we don't have things as pd, md, just medical examiner. So you cannot say no to any of the forms.
Don't worry.
As instructor I have seen such a lot of different medicals, for me it is only important that you have one when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom