Diver Missing In Jupiter, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aceswild84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Coast Guard searching off Jupiter for missing diver who had... | www.palmbeachpost.com

Several agencies are searching for a missing diver who had been fishing for lobster off Jupiter this evening as part of the state’s two-day mini-season.
The unidentified diver was reported missing at 7:13 p.m., Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said. He was one of two brothers who had gone out on a recreational boat. The diver was in about 80 feet of water about a mile offshore from The Bluffs, a community off Marcinski Road just north of Ocean Cay Park, when he went missing, said Carli Segelson, spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. His brother reported the diver missing, Segelson said.
The sheriff’s office and the U.S. Coast Guard both have helicopters searching the area by air, and boats from the sheriff’s office, Coast Guard and both the Jupiter and the Tequesta police departments are searching on the water. FWC officers also are assisting with the search.
The mini-season began shortly after midnight Wednesday.

Hoping to a good end to this story.

Chase

"Don't dive like my brutha!"

"No, don't dive like *my* brutha"

Do these guys give car repair advice on the radio?

Another lost diver is smart enough to swim to shore. Yeah!

This mini-season usually leads to several deaths, but so far - none! :thumb:

Here is this fellow's personal story: Missing lobster diver:
JUPITER —
This year’s spiny lobster recreational mini-season ended at midnight today. Though there were no deaths reported, as of late Thursday afternoon, the two-day event did not go by without a glitch.
Divers had trouble catching enough legal lobsters to reach the 12-lobster-a-day limit set by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, but what highlighted the two-day event was a miscommunication that saw a Hobe Sound man go missing for hours in the water.
Larry Lumb and his brother, Bill, went lobster-hunting off the Jupiter Inlet at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. Bill manned the boat and Larry went diving. After about 20 minutes, Larry hadn’t seen any lobsters, so the brothers decided to head south to The Bluffs reef in Juno Beach.
At about 6:20 p.m., Larry entered the water — about 80 feet deep — but he had forgotten his lobster bag. His brother passed it to him, and he tried to attach it to his belt, he said. That’s when things got a little crazy.
“I took my belt off to loop it through the handle of the bag,” said Larry, 46.While doing this, he dropped his snare and net.
He went underwater to find the fallen equipment but had to hold on to a rock to avoid being dragged by the strong currents. While he searched, he said he had no clue that above the surface, his diving flag had been out of sight and his brother was looking for him.
At 7:13 p.m., authorities were alerted that Larry had gone missing, said Teri Barbera, spokeswoman for the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
“I went to the surface, and my brother wasn’t there,” Larry said. “I knew I was in bad shape.
“I knew if he lost me, the chances of him finding me were pretty slim.”
The sheriff’s office and the U.S. Coast Guard both had helicopters searching the area by air, and boats from the sheriff’s office, Coast Guard and both the Jupiter and the Tequesta police departments were searching on the water. FWC officers also assisted with the search.
Larry said he saw the boats and a helicopter, which “was way further inshore than I was.” A couple fishing boats were passing about 75 yards from him, as well. He tried to whistle, but no one heard or saw him.
“I kept thinking I was fish food,” Larry said, “but I put that out of my mind.”
Instead, he began swimming, even through cramps. He could barely walk when he finally reached shore on Jupiter Island — about a 4.5-mile swim, he said. He made it to a home and asked the resident to call 911. He was reported found shortly before midnight.
Larry said Thursday he was doing well, a bit dehydrated and with a rash on his arm. Nevertheless, he doesn’t think this will keep him out of the water. It might lead him, however, to hunt for a different sea creature.
“I was talking to my brother,” Larry said, chuckling. “Maybe we’ll try fishing.”

Well this one ended well. Although I have a feeling he will wish he had never made it back after people start giving him crap about being on the evening news. He might want a louder whistle...

Well this one ended well. Although I have a feeling he will wish he had never made it back after people start giving him crap about being on the evening news. He might want a louder whistle...

He needs to whistle-up a dive buddy. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom