Diver Missing, Lake Pleasant, Phoenix AZ Mar 13, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case you have not heard the rebreather diver has been located in about 248' of water. ROV is going to attempt to make the recovery.

There aren't that many technical divers around AZ. :depressed:

Jax,

I hate to break it to you but that's an inaccurate statement. The tech community in Az has plenty of qualified divers capable of reaching these depths. I can think of 30 people off the top of my head just in metro Phoenix and there are many others outside of Phoenix. The problem is very very few of the are LEO and therefore are not allowed to assist due to LE protocol.

Let me clarify that, then. There are not as many technical divers around Phoenix as there are in places like the East coast. The unspoken implication was that since there are not that many, most people know someone in the group. That's all.

Very sad. Prayers go out to the divers family and to his dive family. Definetly is a reality check. We are fairly new divers. Doing our Rescue Diver training at lake pleasant tomorrow. Will definetly have my mind on safety.

In case you have not heard the rebreather diver has been located in about 248' of water. ROV is going to attempt to make the recovery.

Isn't this the second rebreather diver lost in the lake this year?

Rich, I do not believe so. This is the second fatality on the old dam and the first fatality was about 2 years ago on O/C. That victim has not been recovered. For what it is worth, the way this second group handled the situation after they realized they had a problem made all the difference in the world in respect to the successful outcome of the recovery as opposed to the first fatality.

Very sad. Prayers go out to the divers family and to his dive family. Definetly is a reality check. We are fairly new divers. Doing our Rescue Diver training at lake pleasant tomorrow. Will definetly have my mind on safety.
Good luck with your rescue training tomorrow. LP is nice at the depths you'll be diving at but gets very dark down deep. I suspect you'll be training in an area with max depth of about 30 feet-50 feet and staying above the thermocline.

---------- Post added March 15th, 2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

Isn't this the second rebreather diver lost in the lake this year?
Yes. A rebreather diver was lost last year in very shallow water. I think it was a new RB diver.
Pete is referring to the Mesa,AZ diver lost a couple of years ago that was never recovered. He was diving at the dam and I think he was taking either a refresher course or just getting refreshed for an upcoming trip when he separated from his group and was never found.

Tracy & Rich you are both correct that was the 2nd rebreather fatality at Pleasant. I was thinking of the dam fatalities and the shallow water accident that happened last year on the west side of the lake slipped my mind.

Hope we don't have to discuss any further accidents at Pleasant.

Reactions: Jax
Seems to me that there have been a lot of rebreather incidents lately around the world.

Dont go opening that can of worms. I'm out of popcorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom