Diver recovered unresponsive - San Carlos Beach, Monterey, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver found unresponsive underwater at San Carlos Beach on Saturday afternoon
MONTEREY, Calif. —A diver was found unresponsive underwater at San Carlos Beach on Saturday afternoon.

The victim was diving with a group and was reported missing when that group reemerged and realized they were missing one person.

Monterey Fire Department Division Chief Jim Brown said they got the call around 12:30 p.m. and arrived on the scene in about three minutes.

Dive instructor Matthew Warren was with one of the diving groups and said: "It was well over an hour before we saw any signs of the lifeguards that went out. Had found the person unconscious at the bottom, loaded him up on a jet ski to bring him to shore,and when they brought him into shore,the EMTs (emergency medical technicians) immediately went to work on him."

The man was taken to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula with his condition unknown at this time.

Hi all,
I was there today at the Breakwater in Monterey CA and it was not a good day. A diver went missing. A massive search began. A U.S. Coast Guard boat, Monterey Fire Dept boat and JetSki. Two life guards on boards. FD Ladder truck extended out over the water, a fireman at the top of the ladder searching with binoculars. Two more Engines. Three or four Monterey police cars, and, of course, ambulances descended upon San Carlos Beach in minutes.

100's of people were watching the water. I, and I'm sure many others, noticed the diver they were searching for pop up suddenly, not moving. The fireman on the boat spotted him at the same time too. The life guards were on him first, then the JetSki. They transported him to shore where CPR was performed. He was then transported to the hospital.

Our FD contacts let us know he didn't make it, but I still have no confirmation.

We were about to do a third dive with our OW students but we gathered together and asked them to vote if they were done for the day or wanted to dive. They were all done for the day. I'm glad they voted that way because I was very sad too and would not have wanted that to be a factor in their safety. We live to dive tomorrow and they'll finish their last two OW dives.

There must have been 100's of people all around the pier, but you could hear a pin drop. People started crying when his lifeless body was brought to the beach and CPR was started. I really wanted to cry but wanted to be strong and level headed for the students. I'm in my hotel room crying now.

If he truly did not make it I want to extend my heartfelt condolences and sympathies to his family and friends. As he has not yet been identified I am scared to death that I may know him. I'm sure we'll learn his identity in the coming days.

Best,
Rebecca

Condolences to the family

@BikerBecca
"I really wanted to cry but wanted to be strong and level headed for the students. I'm in my hotel room crying now."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good for you Becca..You demonstrated great leadership qualities- Lets hope you never will witness a body recovery again in your future diving career
Sam

SDM

Condolences to the family

@BikerBecca
Good for you Becca..You demonstrated great leadership qualities- Lets hope you never will witness a body recovery again in your future diving career
Sam
SDM

Thank you Sam. Coming from you that means a lot. I take my new and growing diving career extremely seriously. The students mean the world to me and their safety, education, and happiness are so important to me. Yesterday, being strong, was me looking out for their happiness because, to be honest, some people were crying but I think we all wanted to lose it.

I'm elated to say that, despite some fears by some guys and gals over what happened yesterday, they all got right back in the ocean today, we helped build their confidence and made their last two dives very exciting and memorable. There were smiles all around and they are now all certified OW divers!

Thank you again. :)

Edit: "Lets hope you never will witness a body recovery again in your future diving career."
Sam, from your lips, to God's ears.

Be aware that there could be delayed reactions from people. Ones that they may not recognize. It's why I started handing out my PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues to every student regardless of level. I also have a frank discussion about how people die doing this with new OW students before they even get in the pool.

Be aware that there could be delayed reactions from people. Ones that they may not recognize. It's why I started handing out my PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues to every student regardless of level. I also have a frank discussion about how people die doing this with new OW students before they even get in the pool.

You are absolutely correct. The instructor and I let the students know that if they have any sort of issues, concerns, questions, sadness, etc about what happened yesterday to please reach out to us. They were all very happy and excited today, but the stress of yesterday might not truly hit them for another day/week/month. Who knows.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues? I'd love to read it and, with your approval, also share it in the future after events like this.

You are absolutely correct. The instructor and I let the students know that if they have any sort of issues, concerns, questions, sadness, etc about what happened yesterday to please reach out to us. They were all very happy and excited today, but the stress of yesterday might not truly hit them for another day/week/month. Who knows.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues? I'd love to read it and, with your approval, also share it in the future after events like this.
Send me your email. The Ontario Underwater Council uses it in events like this as well. It can also be found in the files section of the Facebook accident group I run along with a lot of other safety and risk management content. It's at the bottom of the list of files. They are arranged by date entered. It was one of the first ones I uploaded.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612046102342961/files/

Send me your email. The Ontario Underwater Council uses it in events like this as well. It can also be found in the files section of the Facebook accident group I run along with a lot of other safety and risk management content. It's at the bottom of the list of files. They are arranged by date entered. It was one of the first ones I uploaded.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612046102342961/files/

Thank you. I sent a message to your Inbox with my email. Also, I am not on Facebook.

Back
Top Bottom