Diver rescued off of Port Aransas TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What force was blowing water down his throat if he was OOA? Was he OOA or was the reg leaking in water?
We really can't tell from that report, huh? "His equipment indicated his tanks were out of oxygen."

Actually I read that and thought first stage failure. If the first stage failed with air in the tank he hit the purge button and the air force water through to the second stage then it would be like having a water hose in your mouth.

Daru
Yeah, weren't you taught to keep your tongue against the roof of your mouth for purging to prevent that?

We really can't tell from that report, huh? "His equipment indicated his tanks were out of oxygen."

Yeah, weren't you taught to keep your tongue against the roof of your mouth for purging to prevent that?
I would imagine the last time he did that was 30 yrs ago when he was certified....

Daru

I would imagine the last time he did that was 30 yrs ago when he was certified....

Daru
Well, it's something I practice every dive trip, along with ditching weights and other saves. Highly recommend it.

It is more of habit for me. I only sucked in water once to learn my lesson, now my body instinctively blocks it.

Daru

It is more of habit for me. I only sucked in water once to learn my lesson, now my body instinctively blocks it.

Daru
Well, yeah - there is always the hard way. :eek:

Laryngospasms are dangerous submerged.

What force was blowing water down his throat if he was OOA? Was he OOA or was the reg leaking in water?

Doesn't make much sense does it?

I suspect this was a second stage problem. Maybe the mouthpiece came off,or the exhaust valve was leaking. Diver purged reg and continued to get a water/air mix. Consider the depth, add in some narcosis and panic and pretty soon the tank will be empty.

You wouldn't catch me solo diving at 140 on a single reg.

Casey's recollection of what happened is vague, but he emerged with a better understanding.

"I know what's on the other side, and I know there's a God," Casey said, "and yesterday wasn't my time. And I believe that wholeheartedly. I'm going try to be a better husband, a better father and the greatest grandfather that's ever lived."

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom