Diver scooped up by fishing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad this diver is Ok.

adza:
'tis interesting that he got the bends from only 14m. Guess maybe he'd being doing a lot of diving previous?

He must have come up very fast not hard to believe if a boat was draggin him, but you have to rember your gas laws from your OW class with out the proper amount of time to allow the gas to escape from your tissue it will expand where it is, to about twice its size from 14m which will cause a bent condition. Not as sever as with a deeper dive but I'm sure it will be very painful still. In addtion I'm sure he was exerting himself like crazy trying to cut himself free which only incresased his risk factors.

Does anybody Know what snaged his bouy? fishing line or the boat?

Tagerisatroll:
I'm glad this diver is Ok.

He must have come up very fast not hard to believe if a boat was draggin him, but you have to rember your gas laws from your OW class with out the proper amount of time to allow the gas to escape from your tissue it will expand where it is, to about twice its size from 14m which will cause a bent condition. Not as sever as with a deeper dive but I'm sure it will be very painful still. In addtion I'm sure he was exerting himself like crazy trying to cut himself free which only incresased his risk factors.

Does anybody Know what snaged his bouy? fishing line or the boat?

Check out thread below titled "uncontrolled ascent" It's all in there plus a link to another relevant thread

In an unrelated story, StarKist announced that they will add a "Diver safe" label alongside the "dolphin safe" label currently on their tuna products.

Was the fisherman fined for not having proper DED's? (Diver Exclusion Devices)
heh heh heh
t

I'm curious about the dive flag question, it must have been a boat dive. Hmmmm need more details.

What a ride!

I have not been able to find any additional stories on this incident. Does anyone have any updated info? Maybe it will be under wraps until the investigation is complete.

Thanks,

TOM

Crazy...what a story...glad to hear he's OK....

jagfish:
Interesting that he suffered DCI from only 14m....

I imagine he was suffering a lot of Type I symptoms as a result of this ride to the surface...muscle and joint pain, headaches, etc. So, I trip to the chamber was probably inevitable.

The fact that he didn't suffer a lung over-expansion injury is either (1) a testament to his being cool headed, or (2) a result of his screaming frantically on the way up! :D

Sharky1948:
I imagine he was suffering a lot of Type I symptoms as a result of this ride to the surface...muscle and joint pain, headaches, etc. So, I trip to the chamber was probably inevitable.

The fact that he didn't suffer a lung over-expansion injury is either (1) a testament to his being cool headed, or (2) a result of his screaming frantically on the way up! :D

My money's on the screaming frantically :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom