Diverite gusset control wings???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

........about Gusset control cords..
http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/gusset.htm

about their Rec wing...
http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/rec.htm

I don't crank my cord down tight.
I have not had any problems with it.

This wing works for both singles and doubles. I don't see the cord as being an entaglement hazzard as it is on the inside of the wing, next to the plate, where it is not likely to get caught on anything. a shorter inflator hose would be nice, a freind of mine put a shorter one from SP on his.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
Hi Guys, thanks for the advice,

To answer your questions, I could get the DIVERITE bp, but, since I dive with a drysuit and lots of underwear, I carry lots of weight and I don't want to put it all on a belt (I dive with over 30lbs sometimes), I want some of it in a pocket, plus I don't like the single tank adapter diverite makes, and I do alot of diving with my single 120hps (and a 40pony) so I want a rig that will work for singles (that's also why I don't want the classic wings).

FredT make a stainless steel heavy BP that weighs 9lbs. alot of drysuit divers use it. You can add V-weights, put some weight on your belt, etc....there are several configurations available. He also has a very stable STA. His BP's are designed to fit all brands of wings so you have your choice of any that are available.

Just an idea.

Originally posted by Tavi
I don't see the cord as being an entaglement hazzard as it is on the inside of the wing, next to the plate, where it is not likely to get caught on anything.

If the wing wraps up on the side of the wing, even a little bit, which most do, then the cords are on the outside of the wing. This could cause an entanglement hazard.

Your reg. hose is more likely to cause an entanglement hazard. Sherwood used to have a hose routing system that went underarm route.

Yet, this was not popular(I would think it would have been especially for the DIR crowd)-Why was that?

The bungee cords are VERY tight on the wing. You would have to try and pry something underneath them to "hook" onto. There are many more areas on a wing/plate system that are greater snaging hazards.

I have seen many divers with the backplate/rec wing combo. They always mention to me the verstaility of its single or double setup and I have yet to meet one that has entangled themselves on the cords.

Originally posted by buff
The bungee cords are VERY tight on the wing. You would have to try and pry something underneath them to "hook" onto. There are many more areas on a wing/plate system that are greater snaging hazards.

True that the cords are tight against the wings but the slack cord that you create when you pull the wings in can create a rather large closed loop that is easy to get tangled up with.

I found this out the hard way last week in Roatan with the TPII I just bought.

dr

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
I don't want to order from 2 guys working out of their garage.

I can assure you that Halcyon is far from "2 guys working out of their garage". Yea, they've been a bit backed up because of the high demand for their gear. Why high demand? Because it's the best.

Bungee wings are a bad idea for multiple reasons. Take your pick.

Tom

:blfish:
I have a Transpac II and rec wing, which I have converted to an aluminum backplate. I find the rec wing works well with single and double aluminum 80's, but I use an 80 lb wing with double LP steel 98's. The rec wing is adequate underwater, but at the surface, I prefer the added lift of the larger wing, with the steel tanks. The 98's are 12 lbs negative in fresh water. The added bouyancy is helpfull during surface swims to the stern of the dive boat, of when helping students with their gear.

Mike D

Just wanted to dispell this notion as well. As posted above, they are back-logged due to demand. Which in itself implies that people have done research and found their equipment to be top notch.

Hold out for the Halcyon gear, you won't be disappointed.

-Ken

For what it's worth this is a recent reply to the equipment backlog from another list:

I fully appreciate your frustration, and the dive shop's sense of urgency. We do not deny problems supplying enough of our product to keep up with the demand, but we are rounding the corner on this issue and your patience is greatly appreciated. I would ask those of you that are frustrated about any delays to try to understand the cause of such issues. Many SCUBA "Manufacturers" do not actually make the dive equipment they sell. Most of these companies merely ship equipment made, and often designed by, a third party manufacturer. If Halcyon were to have some other entity manufacture for us, then we could easily solve the supply problem. Of course we would also lose quality control, product uniqueness, and direction over our product line.

The belief in the DIR philosophy has grown tremendously throughout the world because of the unwavering support of many of the people who are members of this list. The increasing popularity of DIR has helped to foster the growth we find ourselves faced with at Halcyon. Consequently, Halcyon is at a place that many manufacturers and training agencies have found themselves in the past. We feel that each of these entities decided that the quality which may or may not have been an integral part of their initial direction could be compromised in favor of economic factors. Halcyon and, in fact, DIR represent a difference in the industry because they do not accept that compromise. As a manufacturer, Halcyon feels that quality stands above all other requirements, and that it is not an acceptable compromise to meet demand by lessening our control over our products. Imagine for a second that any of you were in our place. What would you do when faced with an inability to meet high demand for your unique product, and a range of "me too" companies flocking to DIR that were initially heartily resistant and do not understand its true meaning?

Meanwhile, you had the ability to produce plenty of products at a substantial reduction in price, but with a considerable loss of control over the quality of the product. Most people either choose to raise their prices dramatically (i.e. Harley Davidson), or to lose control over quality and push the product to the market.

Halcyon does not feel that either of these choices represent our role in the industry, and that they betray the faith placed in us by our customers. In the end, we have a final measure of quality control and still whole-heartily believe in our purpose as a company. We WILL satisfy demand, but we will do it responsibly. In the last year we have more than doubled our production ability, and are well on our way to a much greater capacity. I recognize that to some of you these issues mean very little. Yet, I feel for those that are truly interested in DIR, and in Halcyon, these issues stand at the forefront of your support.

We will continue to do all we can to meet demand responsibly, while insisting that in the end the consumer receives the quality that we feel they deserve.

Sincerely,
Jarrod Jablonski

I have a TransPac II with Rec Wings and I frequently switch between my double 104's and aluminum 80 single.
The cord on the wing prevents the wing from wrapping around the tank when you are diving singles. Its a adjustable so you can control the size of the wing. Its a great setup. I really like it. I might switch to Classic wings to support the extra weight of the double 104's on the surface.
The only drawback I found was that the setup is sooooo adjustable it took me a few dives to get everything just where I wanted it. Its really light and great for traveling.
:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom