Divers Alert Network to Participate in Upcoming World Record Event in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
DAN-and-Team-Reem-100x100.jpg
Divers Alert Network (DAN) has announced that the organization will assist Ms. Reem Aleidan and her team from Kuwait as she attempts to break four individual Guinness World Records. The primary record she will challenge involves spending up to 60 consecutive hours underwater. Several concurrent records will also be set should the team be successful.…
The post Divers Alert Network to Participate in Upcoming World Record Event in the Bahamas appeared first on DiveNewswire.

More...

Attachments

• DAN-and-Team-Reem-100x100.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 45
My letter to DAN:

I recently read of DAN intentions to assist Ms. Reem Aleidan and her team as she attempts several Guinness World Records in 2016 in the Bahamas. As a long time DAN supporter I am totally dismayed that DAN would having anything to do with such self promoting narcissistic record attempts. DAN’s justification of their support for such stunts is that the data collected will be used for “studies designed to enhance overall diving safety" is specious. Please tell me when a recreational diver or even a technical diver is going to spend any where close to 60 hours underwater? Further, please tell me how doing such a dive with sharks is going to enhance dive safety? And how are they going keep sharks in the area? By continuously chumming the waters. Real sporting.

As I have said for many years in the climbing world, when the first nude snowboard circumnavigation of the South Pole while singing “God Save the Queen” is done, it will have my attention until then it is nothing more than another “farce of the first.” Please focus DAN’s efforts on the real safety aspects of diving.

My letter to DAN:

I recently read of DAN intentions to assist Ms. Reem Aleidan and her team as she attempts several Guinness World Records in 2016 in the Bahamas. As a long time DAN supporter I am totally dismayed that DAN would having anything to do with such self promoting narcissistic record attempts. DAN’s justification of their support for such stunts is that the data collected will be used for “studies designed to enhance overall diving safety" is specious. Please tell me when a recreational diver or even a technical diver is going to spend any where close to 60 hours underwater? Further, please tell me how doing such a dive with sharks is going to enhance dive safety? And how are they going keep sharks in the area? By continuously chumming the waters. Real sporting.

As I have said for many years in the climbing world, when the first nude snowboard circumnavigation of the South Pole while singing “God Save the Queen” is done, it will have my attention until then it is nothing more than another “farce of the first.” Please focus DAN’s efforts on the real safety aspects of diving.

I guess by involving DAN, they were hoping to legitimizing the attempt and to draw less criticism. I don't see how anything could be gained from this, either. But then again, I am just an outsider looking in.

60 hours at what depth? Not that it matters since she will reach saturation for most model's compartments.

And why seek the men's records...I thought this was to bring attention to womem's issues in the Middle East? IMO if she is going to do this foolishness then keep the men out of it.

Back
Top Bottom