Divers death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431

I agree with you, it's harsh as hell out there this time year and clearly this guy had no place doing a 100' dive alone given his gear and training. And to try to teach under these conditions is just plain stupid.

Gensis, I agree with much of what you are saying. For this discussion I was using 100' as deep because that's how deep the Poling was. I do think the drysuit can be a little bigger though. I'm not trying to say you need 100 dry dives before you are ready to take it deep, I'm just saying that it can take a little while to get used to the feel of the suit, to get your weighting perfect, and, to practice taking off your inflator which could freeze up in these conditions.
I don't think the Poling in the winter is a good place to be doing a DS/AOW combo class, and I think a good expample of that is that donator in this case had bouyancy problems which contributed to the failed air sharing. The reason I brought the whole issue was that it seems from what I've heard from people that knew this guy that he was example of a person who, while he had an AOW card, he did not have enough experince to be on this wreck. He was by any standards a "new" diver and here he is doing a wreck that a guy like LUBOLD8431 with 500 dives who lives in Glouster would not do. It's a problem.

I don't know when 100' got so shallow. My older buddies that dove in the 70s around here always saw 100' as "deep" they considered the pinthis to be a difficult dive. Has wreck gear really improved that much? Sure lots of divers are doing 200-400' dives on MIX, but, has the equiment really changed that much for the average rec diver (using air like this person) that the Poling is an easy dive that can be done alone in the winter? The way I see it training has gotten worse since the 70s and 80s and while the gear is much nicer it makes people overconfident.

I dove the Poling with CAD the day after thanksgving in bad weather (mybe one of you was on board), no one is every going to convince me that this an easy wreck. Heck, you can get worn down just suiting up in those conditions. A guy with a single tank and less than a year of diving under his belt along with a single instructor and his class heads out there on a rough day in Feb; that's called a a foolish lack of respect for the conditions in my book.

then again, I'm a wuss. Live on the northern Gulf and it basically never gets below the low 50s around here.

Last dives we did were right around 60 at the surface, and about 64 at 110'.

I was fine in my drysuit, but the people I was diving with were in wetsuits, and by lord, they had to have peanuts instead of stones when they got back on board the boat! :)

36F water? No thanks. I'll stay out in those conditions.

I don't know the whole story...everything I've heard is 2nd hand. I heard the deceased was a new diver. The obit. said he was an avid scuba diver. ? I would think avid means 'many' ? Anyway, some say its crazy to dive in Jan. or winter. But it is a free and reasonable choice we all have a right to make. Any body claim to know the real facts? Because I am interested.

He had been dving for less than a year, that makes him a "new" diver IMO, although I guess he was really into it so I guess that could make him "avid" as well. I know this from a very reliable source that I don't want to post on a public board, but, if you really want to know PM me.

Most of the people who have contibuted to this thread are year round new england divers, so I don't think any of us feel it's "crazy" to dive during this time of year, but, speaking for myself I think it's crazy for a new diver to do the Poling alone on a single tank at this time of year. As I posted earlier, everyone decides the level of risk they are confortable with, some divers don't want to got to 100' ever, other don't ever want to do deco, etc, but, clearly there is a point when the level of risk reaches the threshold of being irresponsible and that type of diving is not good for the community as a whole (after all there are no gov regs). From what I know, which is not everything, afterall I wasn't diving with him on that day, this dive was reckless. I don't there is anyone on this board who call this dive safe.

av·id

av·id (av?id) adjective

1. Having an ardent desire or unbounded craving; greedy: avid for adventure.
2. Marked by keen interest and enthusiasm: an avid sports fan. See synonyms at eager1.

"avid" in an obit doesn't adress experience at all.

Thanks Mass Diver for filling me in. I also went back and checked out the other posts. Most were enlightening. It is heartbreaking when someone dies doing a sport we love. A lot of the controversy is out of frustration in knowing that we would do anything to prevent its occuring again. I dove the Poling in Sept. Definetly not a dive for the inexperienced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom