Divers find ashes of deceased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda icky. Good thing the divers were there to finish the job. These days people can use decomposing urns (made of gelatin) and the bags holding the cremated remains dissolve within a few days.

The folks doing scattering to check with local ordinances and get the proper permits before doing anything like this with their 'loved' ones.

That is just wrong. Scatter the ashes and take the plastic with you. Why pollute the ocean? But if I found an urn I would leave it there. Some common sense people!

Sorry about that Connie, my former MIL. We did scatter and not just dump the plastic bag. It was only a little, she got around.

We have a local dive site that has LOTS of urns called...
[SIZE=+3]Cemetery Reef
[SIZE=+1]Sonoma County[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

"Cemetery Reef supposedly gets its name from the cemetery overlooking the cove. Because I've never spotted any cemetery overlooking the cove, I'm not so sure whether this account is accurate. New divers to the area, however, might want to be forewarned that it's quite common to encounter small, sealed urns while diving the reef. Usually, they're cloissone urns, about 8" to 10" in height, and, if they haven't been in the water too long, are quite pretty. They also fuel speculation about the source of the name "Cemetery Reef". But, rest assured, there's nothing gruesome involved. The urns are offerings, usually rice, made by local Buddhist monks. I believe it's wiser to leave them where I find them. But that's a personal call." http://www.sonic.net/~rocky/sccemeteryreef.htm"

Divers in New London, CT were doing a clean up near a local pier and came up with a box also, pulling up bicycles and shopping carts in the same spot. They returned it. I hope my final resting place is a little nicer than the junk heap at the end of the city pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom