http://www.diveheart.org/

Divers seriously injured in car accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One of our Pacific Northwest Diving couples were involved in a car accident in Cozumel, resulting in very serious injury to both of them. Evidently the car in which they were driving was T-boned by another vehicle who was later determined to be at fault. That driver is now in jail. Laurie broke her shoulders, several ribs, and had air trapped inside her chest cavity. Doug was taken to a separate hospital, and placed into a medically induced coma and intubated. He has multiple broken ribs, a broken pelvis, and a broken femur. He will need several surgeries. They will be there for several weeks trying to heal from their injuries, and going thru multiple surgeries.
One blessing is that while they had only been in Cozumel for a couple days when this happened, they were diving with Aldora Divers. Memo (sp) jumped into action, offered the company vehicle to help transport their stuff to an apartment, picked up family members coming in to see Doug and Laurie, got his attorney involved to help assist with the situation, provided help in finding an in house nurse for them when they are able to get to the apartment, and provided someone to run errands for them while waiting on family to arrive. Thank you Aldora Divers for stepping in!
A gofundme has been set up to try and help this couple and take some financial burden off them. Please help out our fellow divers, as they will need all the help they can get as they start the long slow process of healing and getting back home.

I will try to post updates as I get them. Another local PNW dive member has just arrived in Cozumel to try and help them navigate through all this as they are both in separate hospitals. Please Help!!

oh my. what a horrible story. lucky to be alive. lets hope for full recovery.

Just donated
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

I donated some, but I saw that several have.

I do hope that their home medical coverage covers them in Mexico or that they have good trip insurance with significant medical coverage, and that they can be well enough for medical repatriation so that they can continue healing at home.

I donated some, but I saw that several have.

I do hope that their home medical coverage covers them in Mexico or that they have good trip insurance with significant medical coverage, and that they can be well enough for medical repatriation so that they can continue healing at home.
Thank you Don.

Donate to the Gofundme link, but watch out for the "tip." I left it on without really thinking, as I thought it'd be 3% so that they would get the whole donation. Hah! 15% extra went to the site. Fool me once, last chance. See if I ever leave the "tip" on again.

Any news on their recovery? Hoping for the best possible.

Latest news; Doug has been cleared to medivac back to Seattle. Great news! I am assuming that DAN will pay for the repatriation cost. At any rate, this is a huge step!
Thank you everyone who has contributed. While DAN covers quite a bit, both of these people have been badly injured, and the soft costs can easily overwhelm them. This gofundme will go a ways towards relieving that issue.

Glad to hear about Doug and hoping Laurie can soon as well.
I am assuming that DAN will pay for the repatriation cost.
Only if they are asked to arrange transportation under his member benefits. They won't pay otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom