DivethePen (Palos Verdes Peninsula) "Old Divers Category" March 17, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a great idea and I hope a fantastic turnout for the event. We have an amazing coast whether one chooses to dive from a boat or the shore. Anything that celebrates diving while celebrating the wonders this state has to offer divers of all levels/age is something I can applaud. Good luck with this!!

Thanks Thiad!! A real Southern California Diver!

celebrating the wonders this state has to offer divers of all levels/age is something I can applaud. Good luck with this!!

Sounds delicious.

Last edited:
Hey H2Ocean,

Personally, I'd be real careful about your "old diver" category of older than 40. A degree of difficulty rating may be appropriate but any reference to age should probably be eliminated. I'm 58 and I have no idea what your age or fitness level is but would wager I could match or exceed your abilities to hike or dive.

Good diving, Craig

Hey H2Ocean,

Personally, I'd be real careful about your "old diver" category of older than 40. A degree of difficulty rating may be appropriate but any reference to age should probably be eliminated. I'm 58 and I have no idea what your age or fitness level is but would wager I could match or exceed your abilities to hike or dive.

Good diving, Craig

I would also add, the "old" people I know have family, business, and social responsibilities. The only "old" guy I know who has time for diving all weekend is recently divorced.

This was the most simplest invite "to go diving." It had a simple name, DivethePen, it's actually well known for its assortment of dive sites. Palos Verdes. It got one response. 1. That response was a "claim" of why he (us older folks) wasn't going to dive it. And a solution was created, so that older folks (like me) could in fact dive it. And it got one response. 1. A very non constructive comment. I tried to make it as clear as possible, it's not a competition, not a race event. Now it's generating wage offers for out-hiking and out-diving someone. I could probably make some easy money here, but it's not about that. We don't go diving to beat someone, in anything. Maybe that's why the 2 of you here are having such trouble with a simple invite to go diving. It's not a contest. It's about recreational diving. When wagers, races and defeats are bragged about, it wouldn't set any healthy examples to a new diver visiting this site, in any way.

Speaking in terms of being fit for diving at any age sends a good message.

Also invites to expand dive site possiblities, are healthy! Negative comments like "you cant do that!" "And we're too busy to dive" "And you get divorces from being active in an activity that you like, like diving." Actually goes the other direction, and chases people away. I wasn't inviting people that are too busy, with family, businesses and social resposibilities. But if they show up good for them!! I know this is going to be beyond the realm of a possibility , but I'm going out on a limb here, 1.3, whos the divorced guy? Maybe he wants to go Diving!

Hey guys and gals in the veterans & senior diver division, today we checked out the viz for Dive the Pen, and brought a new divers with us, age 52, with 11 dives to get a field analysis of the conditions. Under 3' viz, temps-50 degrees, heavy surge. March 17th 2012 is expecting high winds and rain also. The new diver did 3 dives and said "see you Saturday at Dive the Pen!! I was like hold on..it might be cancelled! Haahah! sweet! So Dive the Pen in all catagories is cancelled and going to be rescheduled in May 2012. The new diver got to see Palos Verdes reefs in a very charged state. We want to thank him for his time and insight! We'll both be seeing you all sometime in May! Thank you! The event planning should be posted in late March into April!

Back
Top Bottom