Divevolk housing leak or flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. I very carefully cleaned the seal and inspected it, and the seat and could see no reason that properly seated it would leak. Put the blank in and very carefully sealed it up and took it to 3M. Leaked like a sieve from the end of the housing with the seal. Inspected seal and seat post immersion and no obvious issues. Will have to contact divevolk when I get home. Just to clarify, I have been diving DSLR’s for 15 years or so. Don’t think this is user error - something is wrong with the housing.
Sounds like you got a defective unit then, good luck getting it replaced!

Follow up. Got home and took a very close look at the housing. Turns out the glass lens was cracked in one corner. Not obvious as it was hidden behind the plastic cover holding the glass lens in the housing. Only found it because there was a small glass chip inside the housing when I disassembled it at home. Someone must have accidently stepped on the housing in the dive boat. We had many cameras on the floor and easy to do in the dark of a blackwater dive. Contacted DiveVolk and so far they are resisting sending me new glass. Offered to sell me a new housing at a moderately steep discount. I have suggested that I would prefer just a new piece of glass. I may just go to my local glass shop and get a piece cut. We shall see.

I worry about the DiveVolk more on the boat than in the water. Sorry yours broke, and thanks for following up.

I'm the mobile technology administrator for our city. We had one of the parks guys report a lost work iPhone. I looked it up in the system and gave him the GPS coordinates. They found it a few feet down in a river in the mud. The position was reported AFTER it got there LOL.

Follow up. Got home and took a very close look at the housing. Turns out the glass lens was cracked in one corner. Not obvious as it was hidden behind the plastic cover holding the glass lens in the housing. Only found it because there was a small glass chip inside the housing when I disassembled it at home. Someone must have accidently stepped on the housing in the dive boat. We had many cameras on the floor and easy to do in the dark of a blackwater dive. Contacted DiveVolk and so far they are resisting sending me new glass. Offered to sell me a new housing at a moderately steep discount. I have suggested that I would prefer just a new piece of glass. I may just go to my local glass shop and get a piece cut. We shall see.
Thanks for the update @Darnold9999 . I try to be careful about where I place the divevolk while on the boat, and this reinforces that - I usually keep the neoprene case on the divevolk, and under my seat when on the boat, and I think I will keep the case on while it's in the rinse bin as well just in case. Glad to hear they offered you a discount on a new housing. I wouldn't trust myself to replace the glass - as I'm not sure if I would be able to ensure the waterproofing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm the mobile technology administrator for our city. We had one of the parks guys report a lost work iPhone. I looked it up in the system and gave him the GPS coordinates. They found it a few feet down in a river in the mud. The position was reported AFTER it got there LOL.
LOL, did the phone survive intact?

Back
Top Bottom