Diving 32% Nitrox with "Air" Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In the interest of adding "conservatism" to our diving, my wife and I when diving the tropics (mostly shore diving on Bonaire ) dive 32% Nitrox. But to increase safety, we still keep our computers set to Air. We fully understand and adhere to the 111ft MOD for 32% and we even augment that by agreeing to stay inside of 100ft max depth as a rule. We just keep our computers set to AIR to add in some more "conservatism" . We then plan and dive the AIR algorithms ....... and NEVER go below the MOD for 32% Nitrox.

Anyone else do this........or does anyone have a reason why not to do this?

I'm curious the responses your going to get.
I really don't see any down side to this plan as long as we stay within the MOD limit for 32% . But still am completely open and interested to hear from others

back in the day, when nitrox computers weren't as available as they are now lots of folks dove nitrox while using air computers. I've done it.

As DCS cases are already low, estimated at less than .001% of dives made, using 32% doesn't really lower the risk any perceivable amount. Diving 32% on an air profile doesn't make the dive any safer. The reasons to use nitrox are to lengthen the ndl of a dive, or shorten the surface interval.

If you ever did get dcs, the people at the chamber are going to look at your dive computer profile. Providing false information to your computer adds to your problems. It also gives you false information during your dive. I suggest diving 32%, read an accurate profile from your computer, and don't come close to your ndl.

In the interest of adding "conservatism" to our diving, my wife and I when diving the tropics (mostly shore diving on Bonaire ) dive 32% Nitrox. But to increase safety, we still keep our computers set to Air. We fully understand and adhere to the 111ft MOD for 32% and we even augment that by agreeing to stay inside of 100ft max depth as a rule. We just keep our computers set to AIR to add in some more "conservatism" . We then plan and dive the AIR algorithms ....... and NEVER go below the MOD for 32% Nitrox.

Anyone else do this........or does anyone have a reason why not to do this?

I would use another computer set on nitrox to record the O2 intake.

This seems fundamentally more risky than diving your computer correctly set for your nitrox percentage, and setting conservationism to what ever level of conservationism you want. As you are doing it now, you are lying to your computer, and you are lying to any emergency res ponders that might use the data on your computer to assist you.

If the maximum conservative setting on your computer is not conservative enough, you can just not dive until 0 NDL. Maybe turn the dive at 5 minutes, or 10 minutes left on NDL. This way, you will not be lying to your computer, and your computer will not be lying to you. You will always know your real limit, and will know how conservative you are really being.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom