Diving after a sinus infection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for some input from any of the SB docs re clinical considerations re diving after a severe sinus infection (i.e., not the usual "can one or can't one," but rather "what are the issues that one should have a non-diving primary care physician review with the patient before the patient and the physician jointly make an informed opinion?"). My 13 yo Advanced Diver daughter is currently being treated for a severe sinus infection. After a two-week course of Amoxicillin and Flonase, a CAT scan still showed all sinus cavities filled with pus, etc. She is now going through a three-week course of Augmentin and Flonase, after which they will repeat the CAT to determine if things really have cleared up. If that CAT comes back clean and she is asymptomatic, how long of a delay would be prudent before going on a one-week 4 dives/day trip? What additional questions should be asked to determine if it is safe to return to diving? Is it okay to dive if one is still taking the Flonase as a sustaining/prevention medication? Is a pre-diving pseudophedrine as a preventive measure imprudent?

Your savvy thoughts are, as always, greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom