Diving after barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msange1

Registered
Reaction score
I got barotrauma in my right ear while diving off Singer Island, Fl two weeks ago. I,m not planning to dive again until Febuary. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Will it be harder to equalize?

msange1:
I got barotrauma in my right ear while diving off Singer Island, Fl two weeks ago. I,m not planning to dive again until Febuary. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Will it be harder to equalize?

I'd like to know the same thing. Isn't this barotrauma horrid? Mine is in both ears, but mostly in my right. It turned into an infection, and now it still is painful but it doesn't feel like there is a knife in my ear anymore. Are you finding that you are dizzy? I sure am. It also feels like my ears are full of water, and I'm wondering if my hearing will come back.

I personally would see an ENT doctor and follow his directions.

It depends on the cause of your injury, the severity of the injury, and the length of time it takes your body to heal from the injury.

A barotrauma is an injury caused by pressure variations within an air space that has not had a chance to equalize. When this pressure gradient becomes severe enough or remains long enough something will have to give.

In the example above, the middle ear space, several things can happen alone or in combination.

1) If the barotrauma is a squeeze, then as the air volume decreases it will draw fluid from the surrounding tissue, it could rupture the tempatic membrane (ear drum), or it could rupture either the round or oval window (these are the membranes that retain fluid in the inner ear)

2) If the barotrauma is on ascent or the diver attempts to clear to vigerously the pressure increase can if severe enough rupture the tempatic membrane or the round or oval windows.

Are you able to identify the type of injury and the potential cause? (congestion, not staying ahead of the pressure, clearing on ascent, etc?)

In most cases the mild to moderate middle ear squeeze when niether the TM or round / oval windows have been ruptured the eustacian tube may have been inflammed when it re-opens it will allow the fluid to drain within a week or two.

During this period you may notice your hearing is muffled and your ear has the sensation of fullness, like you can not get all the water out of your outer ear canal.

Most people will at some point experience some type of squeeze, unless the problem causing the squeeze is something cronic or physiological then it is just something to stay observant of in the future (no diving with congestion, slow your travel rates, make sure you stay ahead of the pressure)

rmediver2002:
It depends on the cause of your injury, the severity of the injury, and the length of time it takes your body to heal from the injury.

A barotrauma is an injury caused by pressure variations within an air space that has not had a chance to equalize. When this pressure gradient becomes severe enough or remains long enough something will have to give.

In the example above, the middle ear space, several things can happen alone or in combination.

1) If the barotrauma is a squeeze, then as the air volume decreases it will draw fluid from the surrounding tissue, it could rupture the tempatic membrane (ear drum), or it could rupture either the round or oval window (these are the membranes that retain fluid in the inner ear)

2) If the barotrauma is on ascent or the diver attempts to clear to vigerously the pressure increase can if severe enough rupture the tempatic membrane or the round or oval windows.

Are you able to identify the type of injury and the potential cause? (congestion, not staying ahead of the pressure, clearing on ascent, etc?)

In most cases the mild to moderate middle ear squeeze when niether the TM or round / oval windows have been ruptured the eustacian tube may have been inflammed when it re-opens it will allow the fluid to drain within a week or two.

During this period you may notice your hearing is muffled and your ear has the sensation of fullness, like you can not get all the water out of your outer ear canal.

Most people will at some point experience some type of squeeze, unless the problem causing the squeeze is something cronic or physiological then it is just something to stay observant of in the future (no diving with congestion, slow your travel rates, make sure you stay ahead of the pressure)

I think the biggest one for me is to stay ahead of the pressure. It is just so darn easy for me to descend that I got kind of cocky about it and forgot about clearing all of the time. Boy...I will sure not be cocky anymore!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom