Diving after Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Should I abstain from diving following a TDC test? If so, what would be an appropriate "surface interval" between a TDC test and a recreational dive? Would 12 hours be adequate? Thanks! This is an actual scheduling issue.

12 hours is more adequate. The TCD uses either agitated saline or something like Levovist. Levovist is cleared by the liver or fat cell metabolism and agitated air bubbles trapped in saline disperse within minutes. The bigger issue isn't the test, but the test results. If the test results are negative, there is no problem diving. If the test result is positive, showing a shunt, some discussion should be made about conservative diving and risk reduction measures.

Thank you very much for the reply! Plain old agitated saline will be used. I appreciate your comment because all the literature I could find only stated that the gas is absorbed "quickly", but no specific explanation of how "quickly". I didn't know if that meant 3 minutes or 3 days.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm getting the test done, it's a combination of things.
  • My father has a significant PFO.
  • A few years ago I got the niggles unexpectedly while mildly exerting myself on ascent.
  • I am considering tech-1, but only if I am PFO-free
  • I have an opportunity to get the test at no cost as part of a research control group. (but the test is the day before a big dive trip)

-Ben

Hi Airsix:

"For free" is certainly a very good cost. Bubbles in the body do not persist for more than a few minutes.

As Saturation says, the "why" is important - should you find that you have a PFO. Conservative diving is a good rule!

Thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom