Diving and Doxycycline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9:
However, what I do know is that Doxy is an antibiotic in the class of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolone.

Doxycycline is a tetracycline. I never really considered it that "high powered" of an antibiotic myself. But that's subjective, isn't it?

I have found this:
One of the most common side effects reported by travelers taking doxycycline include sun sensitivity (sunburning faster than normal). To prevent sunburn, avoid midday sun, wear a high SPF sunblock, long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a hat.

Doxycycline may cause nausea and stomach pain. Take the drug on a full stomach with a full glass of liquid. Do not lie down for 1 hour after taking the drug to prevent reflux of the drug (backing up into the esophagus). .

I have found it here
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/malariadrugs.htm

For me and strictly for me the fact that it may cause nausea is enough reason not to dive while taking doxycycline.
Mania

mania:
For me and strictly for me the fact that it may (emphasis added) cause nausea is enough reason not to dive while taking doxycycline.

And of course that's fine- strictly for you. But being on a boat may cause nausea too- do you never boat dive? Shore diving thru any appreciable surf may cause nausea- do you never shore dive except in flat calm conditions? A wetsuit or drysuit collar may cause nausea when diving- do you never wear a wetsuit or drysuit? Wearing a hood when diving may cause nausea in some people- do you never wear a hood?

Some believe that it is dangerous to dive if you are prepubertal. Some believe that menstruation can increase the risk of decompression sickness- and for an unknown period of time around menses. Some believe that previous surgery (such as a hysterectomy for example) increases the risk of decompression sickness. Some maintain that being older- say like being post-menopausal- increases the risk of diving. So would you say that the only women who should ever dive are those who have passed the age of puberty but have never menstruated, haven't had a hysterectomy, and aren't over a certain age (say 40)? Of course not. That would be "taking the argument a bit too far", wouldn't it?

If you choose not to dive on doxycyline or any other medicine, that's certainly your business. But when advising others on doxycyline wouldn't you say that it would be better to mention the risks and let them decide for themselves- since for most divers diving on doxycyline is generally considered acceptable by the diving medicine community? For example, wouldn't it be more appropriate to say, "If you happen to be one of the people who get nauseated when taking doxycyline, it could affect your diving" (especially if your advice otherwise contradicts DAN and other reliable sources) rather than speak in absolutes? In many divers the benefit of taking doxycyline is greater than the risk. It's fine to discuss the potential risks- that's why ArcticDiver asked- but is it necessary to say never?

Just my 2¢,

Bill

Correct, Doxy is a tetracycline and I'm an idiot for typing before I had my morning coffee. As well, you are correct, it isnt really all that powerful. Heck, just disregard my post. I'll make sure I get some caffeine before typing next time.

BillP:
Doxycycline is a tetracycline. I never really considered it that "high powered" of an antibiotic myself. But that's subjective, isn't it?

Since Mania is bringing up quotes, I thought that I'd mention one too.

From Bove and Davis' Diving Medicine (3rd ed.) Chapt. 24- Medical Evaluation for Sport Diving:

In general, antibiotics are of no concern, but the underlying disease may be disqualifying. For example, tetracycline (of which doxycycline is a type) for bronchitis (an inflammation of the windpipes) is part of the contraindication for diving because of the risk of bronchospasm (constriction of the windpipes- from the inflammation of the bronchitis, not the medication itself) and local air trapping, but tetracycline for chronic prostatitis (an inflammation of the prostate gland) presents no known problem for the diver except photosensitivity.

HTH,

Bill

Kid K9,
Better get back to the books and recheck your pharmacology.......................
doxycycline is a member of the tetracycline class of antibiotics and is NOT a member of the fluoroquinolone family, which includes Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox and Tequin.

Thanks everyone. I am just doing "due diligence" by seeking user experience to supplement the standard references.

I should have explained that the reason for the drug is that I have agreed to a mission trip to a high malaria exposure area. A country in Sothern Africa to be specific. My plan is to finish up by doing some "decompression" R&R by doing some diving. But, I would still be on the doxy at that time. By then I'll know my personal reaction to the drug.

No problem, like I said, caffeine is my personal drug of choice, and I didnt have my fix yet. Funny thing about it, I walked into the clinic this morning and first thing I did was smakc my head with my hand and pull a "D'OH!". Yeah, then all morning I kept thinking to myself - I gotta get on a terminal - now my credibility is screwed. Yes...back to the books.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom