Diving around Yokohama/Yokosuka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdantpt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have recently arrived in Yokosuka from the UK (no, I’m not in the US Navy!!) and I’m staying until mid-December.

I did about 50 dives last season (all but 2 in UK/Ireland!), and want to get some serious diving in Japan whilst I’m here. So, any answers to the following would be greatly appreciated:

1) Can anyone tell me local diving options in the area (I guess Izu, but who does everyone go with – is it dive clubs, or commercial ops?)
2) Reading previous posts, I guess a trip to Okinawa is a must during my stay?!
3) I hear there are hammerheads etc, especially during the winter – if I want to see them, where do I go, and should I get my drysuit shipped out?!

Oh, and I’m a BSAC diver (anyone heard of the UK based system?), will it be ok in Japan?

Thanks v much for any help/comments etc – I’m looking forward to some wicked diving :dazzler1:

Dan.

Hi and welcome!

I live in Kyushu so I don't know the best answer to your first question.
Okinawa is definitely a must! I haven't been there but I think that Yonaguni is the place for hammerheads - and there is an awesome ruin there as well. If you just go to Naha - then boat dives to the Keramas are the thing - great coral - lots of fish. My personal fav - Miyako-jima - really nice caverns and canyons there - but you have to check for time of year/season as they are not always accessable. One thing though - not many people speak English - so best to check that out a bit too!! Your card will be OK I think - Japanese shops tend to check you out in the water a bit if they don't know you anyway - just to make sure . In Miyako they won't take you to the good caverns unless they think you're good enough. Some of them are quite deep - down to 34/37 meters.

Hi Dan
I know there are several peole on this borad who will give you excellent advice, so you should do alright...

I live in Kanagawa and normally dive with the folks over at Yokota air base. Theya re just beginning to become active, as not many fo them dive dry. For many, May is when wetsuits begin to be worn, and some folks will dive dry through June.

Yokosuka apparently has a really large and rather active dive club. They fill theri own tanks. I was told recently that they have like 80 members. I dove with a small group that does weekly dives on Friday night and Sunday morning. These individuals do not gotot "pay" sites with facilities, they dive a spot not too far from Kamakura. It was pretty nice, shortish kepl forest, though the walk at low tide is a drag. I'm afraid I don't have thier contact information, but you should try to get in touch with them.

There are some commercial operators that can take you anywhere, one is Tokyo Scuba and the other is Mar. You will find them on an internet search. I thought hammerheads were mostly in Fall, but I have heard that some dive in spring for them as well, but Sept, Oct and Nov. are definitely the big times down in Mikomoto.

Oshima Island is a short boat or plane trip form Tokyo and I hear that is about the best place in this area, though I have never dove there.

As for me, I'm going to IOP this weekend (weather permitting), which is one of my favorite spots in the east. I have a short trip to Thailand, then a lot fo diving in May, including a trip to West Izu. Put a trip the the west peninsula on your calendar. You usually get views of fuji in the distance. Really nice.

Now is a good time to dive before the summer, when sites get rediculously crowded. If you can dive on weekdays, better yet. I don't know exactly how it would work, but if you want to try and hook up for some dives, let me know...But there are other people on the board who might be closer to your area, though they will likely dive the same places.

JAG

I lived in yokohama until 4 years ago, we used to dive at Izu through a shop called papalagi, they also have several shops in tokyo / Yokohama, they were pretty cool with gaijins caoming along, they also have nice accomodation with a good onsen down there, worthwhile going down friday night andmaking a weelkend of it. I dont have contact details anymore but sure you can try and look them up.

We found out about them initially through the Tokyo International adventure club (grand title) which organises lots of hikes, ski trips and basically anything outdoors the club is set up for both Japanese and foreigners http://www.iac-tokyo.org/

We went down to Yonaguni which is furthest tip, past okinawa, this place has hammerheads although didnt see any, plus it has the "Monument"what is rumored to be lost sunkin city under the sea, well go there and make your own mind up. Its not a cheap trip but worth the experience

Hi Dan,

I live in Yokohama. I'll go to Izu peninsula and Shonan areas except from Jan to Jun because it will be cool temp. and spring turbidity. BSAC is OK well known in Japan.
Okinawa is a must especially isolated Islands , Iriomote, Ishigaki, Miyako,Kumejima, Minna, Iejima and so on .....
Hope you enjoy Japanese sites.

Welcome

Word of warning though - BSAC Japan bears very little resemblance to the UK version from what I've seen in and around the water.

Ohshima is good and travel a bit further to Hachijijo and that is better but I hear from another BSAC diver that if you spend about a day on a boat (no planes) you get to a place in the vicinity of iwajima (spelling is probably wrong) that has pretty much virgin stuff - wrecks included.

I left the UK 3 years ago and I am still in holiday diver mode here - great viz, warm water and plenty to see (but not much in the way of wrecks other than Atami)

Enjoy
Jonathan

Guys, thanks for all the info - the diving sounds great :wink: but can you tell me who you all dive with?!

is it commercial trips, or club based diving or what? i trained in a student club that was big (as bsac is) on the whole 'buddy' diving (and i found it a nice way to dive...) - i hear in Japan solo diving is big? :11:

i realise i forgot to say that i'm a postgrad student (so no 'unlimited cash'), and i also had to leave all my kit at home cos it was way over the baggage limit :( ....

it also sounds like there is no rush, as the best (local) conditions will not be for a couple of months....?

Dan

diverdantpt:
it also sounds like there is no rush, as the best (local) conditions will not be for a couple of months....?
Actually round Tokyo I would say you've just missed them - the best viz, like th UK, is in the winter and also the best time to go as there are not too many around.

I tend to dive either with a Japanese Instructor who speaks good English - though not so much now I am a local hire and not on an ex-pat contract - or whoever I can find. The latter tends to be a Swede I met on the board and another Brit who we met through Mar Scuba. For kit hire etc you are best going with Mar or Tokyo Scuba around Izu as they have "western" sizes... Although I am out of the water at the moment so could lend you some stuff - out of the water due to impending fatherhood!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom