Diving as a lung cancer survivor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you just have to figure out how to get a "good radiologist". I'm hazarding a guess that most Doctors (especially non-diving) aren't going to be in the frame of reference that submerging one's self is a proper idea from the start. I can see defensive medicine playing a large part in the doctor-patient conversation.

You might be surprised. Most physicians are receptive to their patients' recreational activities and want to help them continue. Diving physicians in particular do not like to tell divers that they can't dive, but of course there are absolute contraindications. The air trapping mentioned above would be one.

Perhaps a drive down to Duke is recommended for the OP post-treatment?

We would be happy to see him, though depending on where he is in Northern VA he might be closer to Shock/Trauma in Baltimore.

Thank you all for the informed responses. That is exactly what I was looking for. Although it is tempting to head to a local quarry and do a shallow dive, I would really like to be around long enough to enjoy more than 1 dive! That was why I posted the original message! Information rules. In case you are wondering, I have no intention of running to the local quarry to blow bubbles until the additional tests and evaluations are completed.

My radiation oncologist has been one of the top doctors in the DC Metro for a while, and in 2011 was the top doctor. Not sure how that all works, but it sounds impressive. Each time I chat with her she is very open to discussions with other medical professionals that understand diving. We have just been waiting until i am closer to completion of the treatment protocols before the contacts are made. So I will provide her with the information next week and see where it takes me.

HIGHWing I might take you up on the road trip to Durham. It really isn't too much farther than the quarry we go to in southern VA. But as mentioned, some of the technology is available in this area so I will have to see what the oncologist orders.

Update: Further background. The diagnosis was small cell lung cancer of the rt lung located on the bronchial tree. Hence the concern for trapped air. I am an ex smoker that quit about 9 years ago, but as you of the medical community know small cell is definitely smoking related. Yes, the oncologist discussed the long-term prognosis.

I had my last scheduled chemo treatment on September 14th. That was 4 cycles of 3 days using cisplaton and etoposide. I will have my last chest radiation on September 20th. My oncologist ordered a CT scan for after the chemo session this past Friday. The intent was/is to see if further chemo treatment might be needed. He also scheduled another PET scan for early November. In a frank discussion with him I asked him about clearance to dive and he said not until after he could review the CT scan. The scan was late Friday so I would expect to hear something Monday or Tuesday.

I am okay to swim but will need to go slow to build up endurance again. I have also been given clearance to resume my martial arts training without contact because of the medi-port. That means performing my kata/forms beginning at low intensity and working my way back up. But that will allow me to build strength and endurance as well, plus breathing capacity.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I found this site through a search relating to small cell lung cancer and scuba diving, your thread showed up.

Update: Further background. The diagnosis was small cell lung cancer of the rt lung located on the bronchial tree. Hence the concern for trapped air. I am an ex smoker that quit about 9 years ago, but as you of the medical community know small cell is definitely smoking related. Yes, the oncologist discussed the long-term prognosis.

I'm in a very similar situation to yourself, being diagnosed with small cell lung cancer on the bronchial tree, right lung, in June this year. I'm in the UK and there appears to be a massive difference of opinion here. I'm being told by all the medical profession including the dive medics that there is no way I will be able to dive again even if I'm in remission. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a sensible reason for this decision, the only realistic view I can come up with is the 'covering my back' mentality of the UK.

I'm pretty fit and active and have remained so during my treatment which is still ongoing, I've had 3 with another 3 scheduled. Same drugs as yourself. I don't expect to have radiotherapy to my lung, only to my brain as a preventative measure.

I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy 9 years ago for a aggressive stage 3 breast cancer, I've only learned to scuba dive in the last 3 years so there doesn't appear to be any concerns regarding the actual effects of the drugs, only the lung.

I'll keep looking for any information I can while I continue my recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom