Diving Bligh Water July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphRocky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I'll be in Fiji July 2014. I'm looking to dive the deeper and farther sites of Bligh Water like E6, Nai'a Flaya, and Cat's Meow. Unfortunately, the two dive operations out of Rakiraki (Wananavu and Volivoli) typically won't take divers out to those sites unless there's a group of interested divers. I'm posting here to see if anybody will be in Fiji July 2014 and interested in going to those sites. My dates are a little flexible.

We will have a group at Volivoli til July 4. many of our group are planning to do the dives

Russ

Hi Russ,

Are you part of the Dive Shop on McEver group or the Dive Atlanta group?

Jack

Bula RockyRalph,
Glad to hear you're making your way to Fiji for a dive holiday. You'll have a great time diving as we have some spectacular reefs. Just wanted to give you a heads up about a couple of the dive sites you've listed on your 'want to dive' list.

While we do dive E6, which is an additional thirty minutes past the Vatu-I-Ra Passage on a flat calm day from Wananavu we have to have very good weather to make the journey. Our predominant trade winds blow ESE which causes a side swell to the boat which can be difficult and dangerous to cruise in past the passage to E6. E6 is the furthest out we venture but as I mentioned we have to have calm conditions to make the journey to E6.

Cat's Meow (named by Nai'a) is located even further past the E6 pinnacle up near Vuya and no shore based dive charters from Viti Levu make it that far up to Vuya.

The last dive site you named Nai'a Flaya is located in the Namena Marine Preserve which again is too far for any land based dive op to reach.

If these are the site you have to dive the only way to reach them all would be on a liveaboard. From Rakiraki on the Southern point of Viti Levu we have many great dive sites out towards the Vatu-I-Ra Passage (aka Bligh Water) which is 35-45 minutes from shore by boat. We only require two divers (and appropriate weather) to dive the passage with our smaller more fuel efficient boat, Nami Lailai. If you travel with a dive buddy then you would have the needed number of divers to make the trip out. For more info about the site we dive and photos from our dives you can check out our Bligh Water Dive Site section on our website. We also have many, many dive logs from out trips on the website as well with more info and photos of the sites.

I hope this information clears up the location and availability by land for your dive site list. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but please be assured we have many, many beautiful dive sites you did not name. Good luck with your trip and please let us know if you have any questions or we can be of help.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information. Do you know whether there are any land-based dive operations that visit those sites. Perhaps from Vanua Levu?

Best,
Jack

I think there is no dive operation in Ovalau now. I used to dive with Ovalau Watersports and they were good, some really good diving around the island too.
You can dive E6 from Naigani Island.

My wife and I have recently taken over as managers at Naigani Island Resort and have been on site as of 1-3-14. Extensive renovation projects are underway on the island and with the dive boats right now. We have been diving Wakaya, and by 2-5, or before, we will resume diving E6, Makogai, and Mount Mutiny.

Back
Top Bottom