Diving Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Scuba Diving and Snorkeling for Dummies. It's written by John Newman.

I thought this was the text book for a new PADI specialty course.:giggle:

For a good, non-padi basic book try Jeppesen's Open Water Sport Diver Manual, avaliable from amazon.com. It's alot more level and neutral than the PADI/NAUI texts. And it tells you how to do things, something I have not found in some other introductory books for other certifying agencies. A review at amazon says "Jeppesen, the origional publisher, publishes all the texts that airplane pilots use". They also have a Jeppesen's Advanced Open Sport Diver Manual, which I also recommend. The open water is $14, and the advanced is $25 so they won't set you back too much.

On the total other end of the spectrum I've been reading Wienke's Technical Diving in Depth, which is really applicable to all divers wanting to understand more about decompression (remember every dive is a decompression dive), as well as waves, tides, Ocean currents, diving maladies and drugs, computer algorithms, etc. Parts of book are very complicated (including the last half of the first chapter), and Wienke goes into some excessive detail, beginning with the big bang to explain tides (he gives a brief run through of cosmology to introduce gravity). Each chapter is self contained, so you can read them out of order and skip the ones you don't want. Each chapter has problems with solutions (not just answers) in the back. If you want to derive every equation yourself you'd need basic college physics, calculus through diff eq, and thermo. I'd just believe him. (And if you try to derive the equations, prepare to be frustrated, because he frequently integrates and doesn't tell you with respect to what variable, time, depth, etc). Still, only absorbing 25% of the material will give you a better understanding than 90% of the instructors out there.

Happy reading and good luck with the class.

-Katrina

What about all the Clive Cussler Novels ????

Dirk Pitt is guarenteed to rescue and/or bed a lovely maiden by the end of the first chapter - - - Multiple heroic events scattered throughout at about a 1 per 2 chapter rate - - one or more of which take place while diving ...... etc...

Yes - I've also read the Chowdhury novel and many of the reference works - but give me a little vacation reading anytime!!

Kkoski,

I use Weinke's book when I can't fall asleep. It's painful to read.

I was sitting on a plane reading it when I first got it. I kept going back and forth between the same pages, and my seatmate asked me what I was reading.

I told him I had no idea!!

... the effects of nitrogen gradually took hold of Pitt's conciousness, sending him reeling through the icy blackness of the barren mountain lake; still, he felt a subtle shudder run through his loins as he remembered the girl with eyes as blue as the depths of a tropical sea... ( D.S.D. does it ala Clive )

Yea Baby!

I first read "Raise the Titanic" in 1976 & have been a Cussler dee-vo-tee ever since! If you read my tales of reckless adventure over the seven seas you will note a striking resemblance between me & the swaggering Pitt...

or was it Giordino?

or Rudy Gunn?

Wait! Thats it! ADMIRAL SANDECKER!!

Listen all you Tekkies & other readers of serious script...

Chuck it all & dive into the world of Dan Pitt...er, I mean "Dirk Pitt"

Life will never be the same again!

D.S.D.

The Last Dive:A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths - Bernie Chowdhury .............. a great educational book giving the background in an off the cuff style, of the background to wrck/cave/tech diving..................I really enjoyed it................the next will be Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria - Kevin McMurry

I just read Hell Diver's Rodeo in an evening. Wow! Highly recommended. I got it off powells dot com used for about $11 shipped (usa).

Back
Top Bottom