Diving Cenote Dos Ojos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
Have any of you gone diving in Cenote Dos Ojos? I guess it is part of the Hidden World Cenote system in the Yucatan peninsula.

I'm heading on a trip to Cozumel and one of the optional dives is Cenote Dos Ojos. I checked out a few websites and the scenery looks unbeatable -- I really want to go!

My only concern is my level of experience. I'm relatively new -- have about 35 dives under my belt -- and didn't want to risk anything too technical for my skill level. And this dive will be at the end of the week, so I'll have about 50 dives in by the time we go.

How "technical" is the dive tour of this cenote? I don't have trouble with claustrophobia or dark situations, so I'm not too worried about that. My bigger concern is having to dive in really tight spaces and keeping myself buoyant in such a situation. My bouyance control is good in open water, but I don't know how I will react in a really confined space.

Any input you can give me will be most appreciated, including if the "scenery" is worth the trip!

Thx...Doug

Hello Dgangi,
By all means, dive the wonderful fresh water aquafers of Mexico. My Wife and I were in Cozumel, a year ago, and we decided to go to the mainland and we dove Car Wash and Grand Cenote. She also was very nervous about the confined space and maintaining her bouyancy. IMHO the main thing to remember is your fin control and the silt problem. If you are able to maintain bouyancy in open water you will be fine in the caverns. A soft fin kick is the rule of the day because you are moving very slowly. The silt settles to the bottom so keep your fins at a slight upward angle. You will encounter some narrow spaces, however that is part or the cavern experience. The caverns are beautiful and the water is crystal clear and 72 degrees F. Enjoy, and give us a report when you return.

Hi dgangi,

.... then you might want to pass on Dos Ojos. It's one of my favs, but poses more potential risks than sites like Car Wash, Taj Mahal or Grand Cenote. Or perhaps try diving some of the more basic cenotes first and see how you do.

Do enjoy yourself.

DocVikingo

I just got back from Cozumel and on the last day we went across and did Dos Ojos. Though I’m cave certified I wanted to drag my friends over there to see if anyone got the bug. Alas, I don’t think anyone did. :(

We were diving Cozumel with Blue Angel (http://www.cozumel-diving.net/angel/) and they set up the trip with “Mr. Diver” (Blue Angel owner’s ex-husband) over on Plya (sp?). RT ferry ride cost about $20, a “Mr Diver” DM who drove us down to Dos Ojos and back met us at the dock.

The cavern tour does not go through any tight restrictions, and I feel that buoyancy control is actually easier in a cave because you can see the surroundings move rather than being in the middle of blue water like ocean diving.

DV is correct in that you do get further from air in Dos Ojos than in the other Cenotes. Gran Cenote would be a good alternative if you have any hesitation.

But, if you’re comfortable in the water, the dark, in an enclosed space and you can remove and replace your mask and do an air-sharing drill without stress, I’d say go for it!

Roak

I too just got back form Mexico. Diving the cenotes is something that needs to be done. However, please make sure you have good bouyancy skills. Those formations do not grow back, and a simple misplaced fin can bring tons of them raining down from the ceiling. If you are going to go thoug, I highly recommend a cavern tour of Taj Mahal. I loved that place. On our last day, we did a nice long cave dive there, and then did a long cavern dive (Very little actual cave penetration on that dive). The cavern is beautiful, and rather large. The light coming if from the opening makes for some very interesting views. That mixed with the halocline will have you feeling like you are in a dream sequence of some TV sitcom.

Roak,

How did you like Coz? I was just down in Akumal, and we thought about going over and diving Coz, but the ocean started getting rough, and we figured it might be trashed.

Maybe you should dive the Grand Cenotes first, to get the feel for it. ScubaBurt is right about fin control. The silt is not like sand. It takes a while to settle & will ruin your vis ( and everyone elses too) I also like a cenote called Tanka. It was both salt & fresh water.

JamesK once bubbled...
How did you like Coz? I was just down in Akumal, and we thought about going over and diving Coz, but the ocean started getting rough, and we figured it might be trashed.
Coz is always good for mellow, pretty diving. Gimme caves any day, but given the price we got for the tickets, hotel and food I couldn't resist. :)

As pretty as it is today, it's a shadow of what it used to be. I first went there in the early 80s, and I remember far more coral and fish than I see today. Far, far more.

Roak

I did Dos Ojos this past spring with only 30 dives logged. I was apprehensive about going as I REALLY don't like overhead environments (something I'm trying to get over...slowly). it was great! the 1st dive was not as confining as I had imagined & we had plenty of ambient light. the 2nd dive was a little tighter & we needed our flashlights. although I'm not a caver (was not converted on this trip), I would recommend this dive (but, I haven't done any others & have nothing to compare it to). just concentrate on your bouyancy & frog kick. practice before you go, if you can. you'll have a great time.

the 'scenery' in the cenotes is beautiful! but, IMHO there are just too many fabulous sites on Coz to explore. cavern/caves are just not my thing...but, I think that it's something everyone should experience at least once.

roakey once bubbled...

Coz is always good for mellow, pretty diving. Gimme caves any day, but given the price we got for the tickets, hotel and food I couldn't resist. :)

As pretty as it is today, it's a shadow of what it used to be. I first went there in the early 80s, and I remember far more coral and fish than I see today. Far, far more.

Roak

I have heard that they blasted a bunch of reef so the cruise ships could get into port. Sickening. I wish I would have been able to see it in it's prime. I should have dove it this past trip before it gets even worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom