Diving & Children :babycrawl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scbababe

Reaction score
Hello ladies, have any of you felt the guilt of leaving your little one with a sitter (even if she's good) to go diving?

It gets trickier: (1.) My biggest concern is that the child is not 1yr old yet. (2.) Furthermore, if I don't get to go diving should my buddy/hubby go without me? (3.) and if so...how much diving without me would be considered fair, (tolerable). (4.)Without it being unfair to the able-bodied - "dive master candidate"!!!(dive-a-ho)!!! (5) and yes, I've done the good wife/ mommy stay on the beach with baby- until daddy comes back from diving thing! :babycrawl

Male buddies,I'm very interested in hearing your views and opinions as well. Feel free to reply please...

It sounds like you and your hubby need to split the dive time. Being a dad, there's definitely a responsibility to let mom have her time. (And I *hate* it when anyone calls this "babysitting". You don't babysit your own kids!) If you've already given dad his water time, you deserve to get some yourself.

-Rob

rab:
It sounds like you and your hubby need to split the dive time. -Rob

Rab, that's a very good point. But he's my buddy/hubby. It wouldn't feel right for me, to dive and leave him at home.
(Guilt can be such a troublesome thing)

Well, then let him come to the beach! If you have a friend who doesn't mind diving twice as much as either of you, he/she can double as a buddy for you both. (Hmm, if I was in the area, I think I'd volunteer!) I just returned from a week in Ft.Lauderdale -- if I'd only known. (My in-laws are "snow-birds" with a condo on Galt Ocean.)

I hope you work something out.

-Rob

rab:
Well, then let him come to the beach! If you have a friend who doesn't mind diving twice as much as either of you, he/she can double as a buddy for you both. (Hmm, if I was in the area, I think I'd volunteer!) I just returned from a week in Ft.Lauderdale -- if I'd only known. (My in-laws are "snow-birds" with a condo on Galt Ocean.)

I hope you work something out.

-Rob
Is right. If you stop him diving the he will resent it in time likewise if you let him dive and you dont you will resent it in time. And you will find that the break from each other will bring you closer together.

I don't have children but I've had friends bring their babies / kids along with them. One even brought a playpen. Then the father and mother would dive together if someone reliable was willing to watch the baby while they dived. Otherwise they'd take turns diving with other buddies.

Paula

rab:
-Rob

Hmm....thanks'......I - think!!...??

I agree with Rab.. you should split the dive time.. Hubby can come to the beach with the baby. It's good for your diving skills to occassionally dive with someone other than hubby/buddy.

Having kids and diving is tough. I know, I have two,ages 3 and almost 9. My wife doesn't dive, nor does she want to, which is an added complication. When my daughter turns 10, she wants to do Junior OW. Then I'll have an excuse :) to go, and it will have the added advantage of getting one of the two out of mom's hair, so to speak. Cheers!

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Having kids and diving is tough. I know, I have two,ages 3 and almost 9. My wife doesn't dive, nor does she want to, which is an added complication. When my daughter turns 10, she wants to do Junior OW. Then I'll have an excuse :) to go, and it will have the added advantage of getting one of the two out of mom's hair, so to speak. Cheers!

Being that your wife doesn't dive, how often do you get to go diving? I know that it can get complicated, but does it become a major issue if you do?

Back
Top Bottom