Diving Costa Rica Pacific side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there all. I am planning an 5 week vacation to the pacific side of Costa Rica. I am interested in finding hotels that have easy access to dive shops, on site or walking distance being preferable. Can anyone make any suggestions.

Danceswithsky if you search the Central America forum, you will find more info. I'm just back from 3 weeks in that region. For example, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ce...costa-rica-conditions-january-where-dive.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ce...otal-costa-rica-trip-dec-2014-any-advice.html

Rich Coast Diving and Rocket Frog will both pick up from Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco and Playa Ocotal

If you really want on site
- Rich Coast Diving + lots of nearby options in Playas Del Coco. Ask RCD for a package quote and recommendations. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.
- Rocket Frog + Los Almendros de Ocotal condos. Only 1 restaurant in Ocotal. 45 min walk to Coco or $6 US/3000 colones cab ride (one way). Ocotal Beach Resort is no longer considered a good dive op.
- Playa Hermosa has BA Divers but I'm not sure where it's located
- more options down the coast in e.g. Tamarindo, but Playas del Coco/Ocotal is generally regarded as the best easily accessible diving
- It is possible to dive from Drake Bay if Isla del Cano is in season and there are enough people trying to dive on the same days you are, but logistics are more challenging (local flight or drive in)

Nov-Apr only Rocket Frog will go to Bat Isl, weather permitting. The rest of the year all ops go.
Rocket Frog had shorter dive time limits. Rich Coast Diving was better at giving people 60 minute dives.
If you like macro, request Maurin at Rich Coast Diving - fantastic eyes.

Well, if you want to save on hotel money there is PacificDawnVilla
Located within walking distance 3/4 mile from the beach in Playas del Coco and close to many diveshops

Hi there all. I am planning an 5 week vacation to the pacific side of Costa Rica. I am interested in finding hotels that have easy access to dive shops, on site or walking distance being preferable. Can anyone make any suggestions.

Not sure why you want an on-site or close by dive shop. We stayed at the Hilton in Guanacaste and Rocket Frog picked us up every morning and drove us home every afternoon.

There's some great info here on the guanacaste, if you are looking at the rest of the pacific as well you should consider heading down to the central pacific coast, Manuel Antonio area or dominical,and dive can island. To dive cano you will need to be in dominical.

We did 2 weeks at Playa Ocotal in January. We dove with the Playa Ocotal resort shop. The good news about the shop is that they have one of the best boats.
They also had one very good divemaster, Jairo. They served watermelon after every dive and had water. When we did the trip to Catalina, they had sandwiches and coke. The shop was originally designed and built very well with two good sized rooms, a built in rinse tank with fresh water input and a drain that can open and close, an outdoor shower which now only has the foot part working, but there are two outdoor showers in the adjacent pool area. There are mosquitos near the dive shop if you have to wait. They do a good job with rinsing and storing and setting up your stuff which is useful because you need to get on a small boat at the beach which will take you to the larger dive boat. The bad parts is that the dive shop is basically closed and they call Jairo to open the shop when they have a booking. The new owner is not maintaining it like the old owner did. They have at least four boats that used to be active dive boats, two of which have now been converted to fishing charters and one is just sitting there. So only one is a working dive boat. They do not have any parts or repairs and the communication is somewhat hit or miss if you do not book directly through the hotel. They do not have computers for the rentals.
The first two days were so so dives. We took a break for the next two days which were very low winds and we should have been diving on those days. When we were ready to dive again, the wind came up and we canceled. Finally the wind died down and we did three days of really good dives including one day of the trip to Catalina. At Catalina we saw zebra eels, another eel we had never seen before, white tip reef sharks, and my wife finally saw her sea horse that she wanted to see. The moray eels were very well fed and looked more like Jabba the Hut from Star Wars. It took me a while before I recognized them as Moray eels. The big prestige, well organized shop in the area is Rich Coast Divers and they have the best repair shop in the area. DeepBlue seems to have a good boat. I would not want to go to Catalina on the boats that I saw for SummerSalt or Rocket Frog. The main recommendation is to do a good job with wind prediction and schedule around the wind because the wind will not schedule around you. Also make sure to take extra batteries for computers, sending units, etc. This is one place where my water shoes worked out and were a good compromise between tennis shoes and flipflops. My wife used her LavaCore the first day and was cold and switched to her 2/3 mm and was fine. I stayed in my 3 mm and was fine. According to my log book the temperatures were as follows (surface, bottom): 84, 78; 84, 76; 84, 78; 84, 78; 80, 76; 82, 76; 84, 80; 84, 80; 78 bottom; 80 bottom. The diving at Catalina is definitely not for complete beginners. Even though we have been in stronger current, more surge, and more chop, we have never tried to get back on the boat with all three at the same time which I did not know was possible. My wife held my hand and I was able to swim her back to the boat. The boat had a good ladder and it had a head.

Does anyone know who the dive operator is for Villa Sol in Playa Hermosa?
Thanks in advance....

The big prestige, well organized shop in the area is Rich Coast Divers and they have the best repair shop in the area. DeepBlue seems to have a good boat. I would not want to go to Catalina on the boats that I saw for SummerSalt or Rocket Frog....The [Ocotal Resort] boat had a good ladder and it had a head.

Great to see a recent report on Ocotal Resort's dive op afdgf. Thanks for sharing your experience and glad to hear you had a good time.

To add to the boat discussion, I dove for 2 weeks Dec 2014/Jan 2015 with both Rocket Frog and Rich Coast.

Rich Coast: Of the 2 Rich Coast boats I dove from, 1 had no head and 1 had no ladder. The one with no ladder you pulled yourself on to the swim platform and then boarded from there. It might have been the same vessel with no ladder and no head - I find the ocean cleaner than marine heads so I didn't pay attention to which boat had the head.

Rocket Frog: I dove from both Rocket Frog boats, both RIB format, 1 significantly smaller than the other. Both have ladders, neither have heads. I did only 1 day on the smaller RIB, but it was a Catalina 3 tank. I do not think RF would run that boat to Cats in significant swells; they are very safety conscious. The advantage of Rocket Frog's larger RIB is that it can get you to the Bat Islands - IMO the best diving in the area - in about half the time of other ops. Now whether they can still make it in half the time in non-ideal weather is a question I would love answered. I was surprised at how slowly we moved with what were fairly modest waves - a factor of how deep/shallow the outboards sat in the water is what I was told. Two days our Bats trip was 45 min one way, the third trip it was 2 hours one way with what I would consider fairly modest swells. How The Pacific Express's speed compares to RCD's or OR's boats in similar conditions I cannot tell you, but the selling point for me was that Rocket Frog runs trips to Bats in months that no one else does. It took some work to get enough divers organized, but I would have done a forth Bats trip had one been organized. Bull sharks, tambja eliora, mobulas triple somersaulting out of the water one day, good chance at schooling rays, larger schools of fish than the local sites, I even had a nice close encounter with a black tip. And no one else for miles.

Ocotal Resort: Besides the fact that the current owners are not keeping up the standards of the old owner, I was told that Ocotal swamped one of their dive boat at Bats and those divers had to be evacuated. Fortunately another Ocotal boat was in the area at the time. Having spent significant time trying to find a dive op operating on Jan 1, I was very surprised to Ocotal Resort's boat apparently heading out that day, since none of the other ops I contacted indicated they would be diving. Whether that was a fluke I don't know, but I would have tried to get on that boat had I known (I had dropped by Ocotal earlier in my trip but everything was locked with no sign of life nearby).

I was told that RF has been asked (not by Ocotal) to follow a smaller dive op's boat closely all the way back from Bats as they were expecting to run out of fuel. Bats is not close to anything - running out of fuel is just irresponsible planning IMHO.

I found both RF and RCD well enough organized - that would not be a significant factor in my choice of operator. I usually dive liveaboards and dedicated dive resorts which are at a different level organizationally. RF was more organized about transfers to/from hotels. RCD was much better about dive guide requests and macro dive guides. RF usually separates students taking courses from certified recreational divers on different boats; RCD often doesn't. Although RCD's students have their own Instructors, the students often influence which dive sites are chosen or ruled out. RF often limited dives to 45 min (despite emailing that there were no dive time limits) and the owner did not fix the problem. An owner of RCD immediately fixed the problem when he was informed their dive guides were limiting dives to around 45 minutes, which was against the 60 minute policy I had been informed of via email. I found both adequately safety conscious.

Edited to add: If you are diving a large camera system, RCD was easier. Surprisingly, neither op had dedicated camera rinse tanks set up even for smaller cameras. I used the reg rinse tank at RCD which was always filled and not in use by the time we returned to the shop but you will have to evacuate once all the dive bags arrive back from the boat. If you pursue it, you can fill your own bin at RF which can allow for a longer soak, but you have to compete with everyone else for the hose.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Does anyone know who the dive operator is for Villa Sol in Playa Hermosa? Thanks in advance....

DiveDad I dove with a family who had booked Villa Sol via Bill Beards and they were placed with Rocket Frog. It may depend who you book through though. I believe there is only 1 dive op in Hermosa itself - BA Divers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom