diving double steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are probably not a good choice in a THIN wetsuit.

Now a two-piece 7 mil might be another matter, but you still have to deal with the potential problem of a wing failure.

My feeling is I'd rather clip the lift bag off to one of my shoulder D-rings (given I have access to the dump valve, I haven't actually tried this yet) because if I lost control of the bag I would rather suffer a fast ascent and be bent on the surface than lose the bag and be stuck on the bottom without a means to get to the surface in addition to being able to ditch my rig and not lose it to Davy Jones' locker once I am on the surface.

Ben

so long as the dump is accessible.

Thing is, I don't think you're going to lose the bag under the arm. The lift there is quite-well balanced; consider how you'd lift someone into a boat by the armpits, and that you don't need to hold their arms down for it to work.

If you end up on the surface unconscious I can see your point, but in that event you've got really big problems as I'm sure you know.

If I have to ditch the kit on the surface my shears are going to come out, and I don't want the bag on the kit in that case - I want it on ME until the kit is safely away from my body.

This is one of those "one in a million" deals; if I lose my kit in that instance its ok; what I really don't want to lose is my life :wink:

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Not too many folks have their weight "split" so they have the option of ditching, say half.

May I suggest a DUI Weight and Trim II? I have to say I really like mine for the comfort factor, the ability to change its position to facilitate trim, and the fact that I can easily dump exactly one-half of my weight if I need to! It is also very easy to hand up half of my weight at a time to someone on the boat!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom