Diving Doubles/Deco/RBs in Japan (Izu/Tokyo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJO

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Many of us dive doubles/deco/rbs but the divesites where this is possible is limited (privately run sites). We usually dive Atami, Osezaki, and Shishihama - where it is possible to bring own tanks or rent the necessary equipment. Where else is it possible? Where have you dived using this equipment or seen other divers using it? Let's share info...

Anywhere in Okinawa. Doubles, deco and the occasional RB are seen at all the sites around here on a somewhat regular basis. Even know a company that welcomes tech divers on all their boats if arranged in advance.

JD's right... Oki's REAL deep. I can only think of 1 dive site you would have to swim all day to find deep water.

On mainland Japan (Kanagawa area) there is only four or five places you can dive for free that I know of and only 4 or 5 that you can use your own tanks and all are shallow, far away or just plain suck. I have even asked if I pay the shop as if I used 2 of thier tanks can I use doubles and they said no. I have spoke about this before and people said if I don't like it leave but I do like Japan most days it is just the way most dive shops work sucks. It is also expensive when you have to pay anywhere from $70.00 to $150.00 for a two tank dive, on tanks that are under filled and have bad air. Do they even know of air tests and tanks inspections? On a positive note due to people like TJO things are changing and prices are comiing down maybe in a few years things will change more but is long as some of these shops can get divers to pay what they are paying and support the fishermen's mafia it might take awhile. BTW this is just my thoughts on things and I was carful to use words like most. If anyone knows anything different let me know but I bet they don't.

dcpac:
On mainland Japan (Kanagawa area) there is only four or five places you can dive for free that I know of and only 4 or 5 that you can use your own tanks and all are shallow, far away or just plain suck. I have even asked if I pay the shop as if I used 2 of thier tanks can I use doubles and they said no. I have spoke about this before and people said if I don't like it leave but I do like Japan most days it is just the way most dive shops work sucks. It is also expensive when you have to pay anywhere from $70.00 to $150.00 for a two tank dive, on tanks that are under filled and have bad air. Do they even know of air tests and tanks inspections? On a positive note due to people like TJO things are changing and prices are comiing down maybe in a few years things will change more but is long as some of these shops can get divers to pay what they are paying and support the fishermen's mafia it might take awhile. BTW this is just my thoughts on things and I was carful to use words like most. If anyone knows anything different let me know but I bet they don't.

You really need to get to Okinawa. No problem with using your own tanks, numerous good air stations on and off base, no charge for shore dives and a few great boats. Doubles no problem, RB no problem. Numerous off base, Japanese shops support this type of diving and those who don't will ussually direct you to the shops that do. Some of the tech "training" is suspect but at least they will let you dive...

Thanks for the info on Okinawa. I understand the mainland is ok. But what about Ishigaki, Iriomote, Miyakojima, Kerama, and Yonaguni where the really nice dive sites are? I have been around several trips and never seen any doubles or RBs. Do you have any info on these places? Like Steve (dcpac) I am getting picky on how I use my (and customers) time. One BIG dive is way better than three so-so dives with beginners and in 10L 150 bar tanks...

TJO:
Thanks for the info on Okinawa. I understand the mainland is ok. But what about Ishigaki, Iriomote, Miyakojima, Kerama, and Yonaguni where the really nice dive sites are? I have been around several trips and never seen any doubles or RBs. Do you have any info on these places? Like Steve (dcpac) I am getting picky on how I use my (and customers) time. One BIG dive is way better than three so-so dives with beginners and in 10L 150 bar tanks...

Have been on doubles in Yonaguni once and supported some rebreather divers down there. With prior arrangements I don't think this would be a problem at any of the mentioned sites. Since I arrange Yonaguni I can say for sure there and the Keramas as we have no problems with either on our boats as long as we know in advance. If we have "tech" divers on a boat it usually has to be a dedicated charter as many of the regulars don't appreciate a 2 hour wait for the guys decompressing to come back aboard. In Okinawa and Keramas this is not a problem as we have 5 boats of various sizes (20-52ft) we own for diving and numerous more we can charter if needed. In Yonaguni we have three available so again no problems there.
I would probably say with a whole boat charter this type of diving can be arranged anywhere. The biggest problem is support for gear you must bring your own doubles, RB's, Oxygen, mixing whips etc... and you better know how to mix your own stuff at most places. (we are just starting to get a complete mixing station/air station set-up and we are looking at 6 months to year before completion)

We do have available for rent in Keramas, Okinawa- BP/wings, doubles, and limited amount of stage bottles- this inventory is growing slowly also. Mix is also available with early booking so we have the right stuff on hand for you. (This will become easier as the air station gets built)

japan-diver:
Have been on doubles in Yonaguni once and supported some rebreather divers down there. With prior arrangements I don't think this would be a problem at any of the mentioned sites. Since I arrange Yonaguni I can say for sure there and the Keramas as we have no problems with either on our boats as long as we know in advance. If we have "tech" divers on a boat it usually has to be a dedicated charter as many of the regulars don't appreciate a 2 hour wait for the guys decompressing to come back aboard. In Okinawa and Keramas this is not a problem as we have 5 boats of various sizes (20-52ft) we own for diving and numerous more we can charter if needed. In Yonaguni we have three available so again no problems there.
I would probably say with a whole boat charter this type of diving can be arranged anywhere. The biggest problem is support for gear you must bring your own doubles, RB's, Oxygen, mixing whips etc... and you better know how to mix your own stuff at most places. (we are just starting to get a complete mixing station/air station set-up and we are looking at 6 months to year before completion)

We do have available for rent in Keramas, Okinawa- BP/wings, doubles, and limited amount of stage bottles- this inventory is growing slowly also. Mix is also available with early booking so we have the right stuff on hand for you. (This will become easier as the air station gets built)

Sounds good. Now I am really interested to go back to Okinawa :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom