diving form like Patrick the Starfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian:
Thanks everybody!

Don- my very handsome new BCD (Sherwood Luna) is indeed weight integrated.

But if I recall, Roatan has WICKED current!!!! Are you pulling my leg there, ya ol scallywag? I have actually been there before, back in 97-98, where I took a joke of a 2 day intro course where the ops basically tossed us off a boat and watched us sail backwards in the current, kicking like all get out.

And immersed, that sounds like a great plan! Maybe to play with in a pool? And yeah, I bet I'm moving around like I would in air and gee, water is just ...so dense, isn't it? (Is that an opening for a slam or what?)

Reckon there are other factors in weighting besides that stinking weighbelt? (which hopefully I will never strap on one of the foul things again) Since I have boyhips it did tend to meander about all over my torso...

Some people said it is better to try and float with knees bent... and some say it is better with legs fully extended....don't bent knees tend to make one go vertical?
What do ya'll think?

Thanks again!
Pamela
Yeah, I was remembering some from your other posts and was guessing you got an integrated BC. Not having weights slip around on a web belt will help some here.

Drift diving at Roatan? I remember a little current at West End, perhaps that's where you did the Fast Intro? Try Fantasy Island or CCV. None there.

Now, get wet and practice. :D

I had the same problem.

Now I attach a four pound weight to my upper tank strap, and it makes my trim fine.

Oh, and there's no current in Roatan, if you stay on the south side of the island. The only current I experienced there last year was the drift to the bar at the end of the day...

I was at FIBR Roatan last may and there were currents. One day we dove Mary's Place and it took everything we had just to get to the mooring line and pull ourselves down. DM called the dive after 20 min because everyone was chewing through their air so quickly. I also remember doing a few drift dives.

I'll let you know how the currents are when I get back next week.

Off to Roatan in the morning.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I stand corrected.

Friends of mine have been there twice and not seen any, and I've been there once with no current. I wondered why they were so protective of Mary's Place, it was a piece of cake (with no current).

Guess I just got lucky. :\

If I remember correctly, this particular site was like a little canyon, and it would have been gorgeous were I not whipping along backwards, kicking like all git out trying to go forwards.

What I'm not sure about in retrospect is why I was in the water alone. I was taking a 2 day "OW certification" class, but the teacher was never off the boat. He never even put on a wet suit! Luckily two Aussie boys who were taking the class with me retreived me when I surfaced.

WOO WOO!

Back
Top Bottom