Diving from a Bass boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conan1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a 19'5" BassCat fishing boat and would like to put a dive ladder on it. Has anyone had any experience diving from a bass boat and do you think its feasible to do? I have read about having a equipment line over the side, then climbing aboard and pulling the tanks onboard. This sounds like it would work for me. What do you all think?

Thanks
Ed

...you might be a redneck. :wink:

Actually, I can't think of a reason not to do it.
Just make sure you fly a dive flag while you're down. Otherwise a passing boater may think you went overboard to chase a 6-pack.

i do it all the time, have flag in my seat post
pull up anchor, air up bcd, tie to line, sit in water
jump in, dive

come up, clip to line, i go up over side of boat cause my sits low in the back, grab seat post and i am in

pull up gear, either store in one of side boxes or
pull up seat in front, stick my bcd shoulder straps over post and put seat back on
pull flag and anchor and take off to next spot

works great and you can still run 85mph and use trolling motor in the trees to get back in some nasty bass/catfish holes

ONE MORE THING

DEFINATELY - put rubber tank boot on your tank

Haha conan, Ima redneck southern illinois boy but havent had the gumption to dive off my ranger....yet, i use the battered old pontoon boat for diving, but no reason NOT to if you have a long boat ride to your site. ive considered this very thing in KY lake, just need to find some good dive sites.....know any?

and mmhmm, make sure you got you lots of bumpery stuff around your gear, esp tank(s) and weight belts

...you might be a redneck. :wink:

Actually, I can't think of a reason not to do it.
Just make sure you fly a dive flag while you're down. Otherwise a passing boater may think you went overboard to chase a 6-pack.

Most end up overboard standing up to relieve themselves of the six pack. :rofl3:

Food for thought:

A ladder for divers needs to be much stronger and much larger than the tiny ladder on most run-abouts. There also needs to be hand railing of some sort. I have seen home made dive ladders rip out the boats flooring.

I think your best bet is going to be for the diver to take off the BC next to the boat. Separate the tank and BC. Develop a method of lifting each into the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom