Diving Hawaii: Big island or Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbissey:
I will soon be moving to Hawaii and i can either live on the big island or maui. SInce i've never been to hawaii, i'm basing my decision on which has better diving. any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. thanks, john
No question about it..............definitely Big Island!

If I was going to live there, I'd pick the big island, despite living on Maui in the 70s.

Diving's going to be great in either place, a little better on Maui (IMHO) but not enough to nullify my desire for the slower pace of the big island.

Roak

<--------loves Maui and I average 4-5 dives a day.

I love Maui too and although I've spent time on both islands, I've only dove on Maui. My husband and I have talked about retiring in Hawaii, and hands down the only island we're interested in living on is Maui. We love the beaches, the diving, and everything the island has to offer.

I think the answer would depend (as noted previously) where you would plan to live on the Big Island or on Maui.

Have you considered other factors regarding day to day life in which island to choose - price (and availability) of housing, traffic congestion, driving distance to work, etc.?

Nothing wrong with basing your decision solely on which island has better diving, if that's what you want to do - but the two islands are pretty different in other aspects which may or may not directly impact how you feel about living there.

I know for me I have led the country life for 12 years now. While I don't want to live downtown Manhatten style I do want more of what the cities have to offer. We'll live in town on Maui eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom