Diving in Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaiderSwim

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good dive shop/charter in Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchigan, Alaska. We will be traveling on a cruise ship and port in these cities. Any help in finding a great place to dive the Yukon is greatly appreciated!

RaiderSwim:
I'm looking for a good dive shop/charter in Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchigan, Alaska. We will be traveling on a cruise ship and port in these cities. Any help in finding a great place to dive the Yukon is greatly appreciated!

Hi, for Ketchikan try http://www.wind-water.org/
for Juneau try http://www.thescubatank.com/
Skagway has no dive shop,
as far as the Yukon-can't help you with that one-Happy Diving

Poog

(Almost forgot...don't forget about Wrangell-we have some top notch wall dives (0-600 ft. in one boat length) tube sponges, cloud sponges, puget sound king crab, rockfish, octo's, etc.)

What is the viz like around Wrangell? IIRC, when we were up there with our boat the water looked opaque from the Stikine River.

Uncle Pug:
What is the viz like around Wrangell? IIRC, when we were up there with our boat the water looked opaque from the Stikine River.

Good point... in the summer we usually motor as far from the river as we can with the silt, logs, sticks and other Stikine River paraphenalia coming down. Usually we only have to travel 2 or 3 miles to get out of the river influence (of course that changes daily with tides, wind direction and speed, etc.) Late Fall, Winter, and Early Spring its pretty good right here in town with variations from 10 ft to 60 ft. and it's always pretty good after a brisk Canadian cold snap. What time of year were you up here?

Poog

I taught a class through wind and water in Ketchikan. They are very knowledgeable about the area. The other shop in Ketchikan is owned by the same guy who owns a dive shop in Sitka. I strongly disagree with his business practices.

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

P.S. I would rather dive the back side of Betton Island or one of the seamounts in SE Alaska than anywhere else.

RaiderSwim:

Does your cruise take you as far as Seward? If so look up the folks at www.divealaska.net they have a 35 ft charter boat and operate every weekend from April thru sept. in Resurrection Bay.

Back
Top Bottom