Diving in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'm looking at coming to the Philippines for the first week in Aug. I know it's the low season but that's one of the reasons why I'm considering it. I'll be back in school in the fall so I need to save money. Flights from Korea seem to be cheap during that season.

How will the diving be? How bad is the vis? Is it even worth going? Where should I go? I dived Anilao a few years ago but would appreciate some recommendations for a different place that's fairly easy to get to. Cebu maybe? I only have a week. I'm looking for good diving but my GF won't be diving so there should be stuff around that she can do on land.

Any thoughts?

jiveturkey:
How will the diving be? How bad is the vis? Is it even worth going? Where should I go?

Actually I'd like hear some feedback on this as well as. As a last resort, I might hit the philippines if my other dive plans fail for August.

Which areas are more affected by the monsoon? PG? Cebu? How about General Santos down in Mindinao?

Cebu will be the most convenient place for you since there are direct flights from Inchon to Mactan Cebu.

BTW, your hangul sucks but you know how to dive?

jive, I'd have to second Armand. I've been diving in Mactan, Cebu at the end of july and I was blessed with good weather and awesome viz. But Subzero went a month or two after and the weather wasn't so great so don't pospone till late aug.

The only problem is that a lot of the nice resorts in Mactan are overpriced. Bohol would be another viable option. Nice beach and good diving.

edit: will you be flying straight to cebu? or manila then commuter flight to cebu? If it's the latter then add PG to your list.

Armand:
BTW, your hangul sucks but you know how to dive?

Yes, unfortunately. Yours is likely better than mine. :)

chip104:
jive, I'd have to second Armand. I've been diving in Mactan, Cebu at the end of july and I was blessed with good weather and awesome viz. But Subzero went a month or two after and the weather wasn't so great so don't pospone till late aug.

The only problem is that a lot of the nice resorts in Mactan are overpriced. Bohol would be another viable option. Nice beach and good diving.

edit: will you be flying straight to cebu? or manila then commuter flight to cebu? If it's the latter then add PG to your list.
I don't know exactly how I will be flying. I'm still just considering the whole thing. I may have to go via Cebu for a cheaper flight but we'll see what the travel agent comes up with. As for resorts, I'm sure there must be backpacker style guesthouses. That's more my style than the big resorts.

Can you fly into Bohol or do you go by boat?

I'm also interested in how bad the weather gets when it's bad. How how bad the vis is when it's bad. I may just have to head to Koh Samui or malaysia if the Philis are not viable. I've been to both of those places a few times so I'd kind of like to try somewhere different this time.

Yes you can fly to Bohol.

jiveturkey:
I don't know exactly how I will be flying. I'm still just considering the whole thing. I may have to go via Cebu for a cheaper flight but we'll see what the travel agent comes up with. As for resorts, I'm sure there must be backpacker style guesthouses. That's more my style than the big resorts.

Can you fly into Bohol or do you go by boat?

I'm also interested in how bad the weather gets when it's bad. How how bad the vis is when it's bad. I may just have to head to Koh Samui or malaysia if the Philis are not viable. I've been to both of those places a few times so I'd kind of like to try somewhere different this time.

If there are flights direct to Cebu from Korea you can take a fast craft to bohol (P550/1 way) from cebu city. Alternatively you can take a flight to manila and fly to bohol.

For backpacker style in bohol Kevin (415gem) has a good post on a place:
415gem:
Mabuhay Just returned from P.I.`s and ended 32 days in Alona beach. Spent a week at Beach Rock Resort and Cafe. 750 pesos $14 US a night with a good breakfast. The diving at Baliacsag was awesome. 8 of 12 dives done there.Took 60 + pics each dive and was averaging 70 - 85 min dives. Pro Safari had a great walk in rate of 6 dives for $99 US with sandwich for lunch and H2O and tea and coffee. A couple of days ...only one on boat. Can`t say enough about P.I`s and the amazing people. Food at Alona. Alona Tropical...half chicken $3 US...really good... Alona Plam...best REAL 1/2 pound bacon cheeseburger $4 US....Tamaling Italian highly over rated...You tell me. Alona Kew Restarant ExcellentBlue Marlin $3 US. Alona is amazing. You can catch ferry or take a safari to Dumaguette and Apo Island. Highly recomended. Thanks P.I. `s Kevin
That's a good rate for pro safari - $16.5/dive

Also I found this place which serves mostly the local crowd but it isn't along alona beach:
http://www.sierramadreresort.com/ ...d.com/showthread.php?t=134364&highlight=bohol

On another thread, I think Caloy paid about $250 for 5d/4n accomodations and 7 dives.

As for the viz - when I went around end of july to Cebu the viz was 200ft plus. The worse viz I've encountered here was probably Coron where it was 10-20ft. I think manhattan diver metioned in a recent thread that malapascua (very north cebu) didn't have as good viz as bohol. When the weather gets bad in Anilao, it's about 20ft viz YMMV.

For a backpackers hotel in Mactan, cebu, try maricaban blue resort.

hope that info helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom