Diving In India?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
Just stay away from the Ganges! :D

my same thoughts! just read an article last night saying in some parts of the Sacred Ganges, they've reported a fecal bateria count 4,000 times over the WHO recommendation for safe bathing water... :shocked:

Back to the subject... there is a SB member who runs a dive shop in India. Try PM'ing vkalia or visit his shop's website http://www.diveindia.com/. This is for diving in the Andamans but he might be able to help out with other info.

Hi Folks,
I know this thread is a bit old but for the benefit of readers in the future. There are a lot of undiscovered dive destinations on mainland india but because of lack of dive outfits willing to take the extra trouble with the authorities to get to these areas, they are left untapped. Dive schools in Goa do conduct trips for some excellent diving in Netrani Karnataka. In addition, Goa Aquatics www.goaaquatics.com is planning to start some even more interesting dive trips. The ones I am interested in are the Angria banks and Burnt Island in Maharastra India. I have been on a fishing trip to Burnt Island and know first hand that this would be a fantastic place to dive and I dont think anyone has dived there before except maybe of the folks from the National Oceanographic institute. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hi!

Just to add to the last post, I did some diving with an outfit called Dive Goa.
(www.divegoa.com) They were very professional.. and the diving at Netrani was excellent.

Hi Jannepi !

Could you describe your dives in the Andaman Islands ? I wonder whether I should go there or not (I'll be travelling in south India in december-january). Thank you.

I found diving in the Andamans to be completely unlike diving in Thailand. I spent 11 nights on a liveaboard this February. Unlike the Andaman Sea in Thailand and Myanmar I did not find any soft corals in the entire time with the exception of a little patch at one spot on Barren Island. Everywhere else there was hard corals or rock with very little color. Also unlike the Thailand/Myanmar environment there was very little invertebrate life. Fish life was limited.

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful for me, because there are many things to see in south India and I don't want to spend one week (out of three) in the Andaman Islands if there is no great diving there.

I read somewhere else that the corals had been suffering from the warmth, with el nino. Have you seen a lot of dead coral ? And what about the consequences of the tsunami ?

Did you see big fishes, such a sharks, manta rays, as the Andaman's dive shop say on their web sites ? Reading your post it seems that neither the corals nor the fishes were outstanding...

I found the diving anything but great. I don't think the lack of soft corals is a function of the El Nino but since this was my first trip to the area I can't really say. I was in general surprised by the lack of color even in the hard corals. There might have been a glimpse of a shark once, no mantras, and very little in terms of fish action. In my opinion, much better diving at other locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom