Diving in kelp -- red or magenta filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROUS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a short little dive trip planned for Catalina Island in July. Should I pack my red or magenta filter? It's a one-day dive, so I will not be able to check the results overnight and correct for the next day. Given all the green kelp waiving around, I'm guessing magenta. Opinions?

Neither, download the FREE app "AquaColorFix". I paid for it but it was and still probably is free but it small watermark on the very outer perimeter of the corner which doesn't take up a much space so can crop without cutting out too much...Download it now and start using it on your older footage

Kelp is brown, does your camera do manual white balance?
You bet. I just saw a dive operator in La Jolla recommend magenta filters there over red. Just wondering what West Coast videographers recommend.

You bet. I just saw a dive operator in La Jolla recommend magenta filters there over red. Just wondering what West Coast videographers recommend.
Don’t know, I do white balance on the fly, don’t do video very often.

I'd say it depends on the depth your diving. When we were there our max depth was about 36 feet with an avarage of 20. I wouldn't use a filter unless the water is a bit murky (we had clear view), and then a magenta would be best I think.

I believe green water needs magenta and blue waters need red.

I've got a short little dive trip planned for Catalina Island in July. Should I pack my red or magenta filter? It's a one-day dive, so I will not be able to check the results overnight and correct for the next day. Given all the green kelp waiving around, I'm guessing magenta. Opinions?
Magenta, all day long

Back
Top Bottom