A week of diving without a liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex-o-matic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
G'day team. Wondering if anyone has some bright ideas to share! A friend and I were planning a week of diving in Bali and surrounds for mid year, but unfortunately it transpires they won't be able to travel internationally.

So, thinking about trying to replace that with something domestic - a week or so of diving, in early July, preferably in eastern Oz.

What recommendations would folks have? Unfortunately a liveaboard is out, because last time they got Mal de debarquement syndrome for a week or so. Cairns/Townsville are possibilities of course, but pretty pricey to do a lot of day trips on the big boats there.

Northern NSW is an option for a bit of a road trip, but not sure the operators there go out that often during winter. Something like Lady Elliott Island would be ideal, except for the need to win a minor lottery first!

Further south might be getting a bit colder for a week of dives, but ruling nothing out.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

yongala- wolf rock - HMS brisbane -stradbroke island

North Solitary Islands, out of Mullowy, just North of Coffs Harbour, is well worth a try

Northern NSW dive operators go out every day weather permitting. You could try Nelson Bay (shore diving if tides are right, need high in morning), Forster, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour. That would be more than enough places. Other spots include Mullaway and Byron Bay (Wooli does not get many casual divers as off the main highway). See my website for more information, Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Northern NSW dive operators go out every day weather permitting. You could try Nelson Bay (shore diving if tides are right, need high in morning), Forster, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour. That would be more than enough places. Other spots include Mullaway and Byron Bay (Wooli does not get many casual divers as off the main highway). See my website for more information, Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site
Thanks - I use your site a bit already!

A road trip could be a nice way to do it on the cheap.

I'm sure it was just the time and place, but last time I went anywhere near Maggie it was surrounded in brown - couldn't even see your own legs in the water!
Spent a few weeks at Magnetic Island in 2015 and 2017 on my yacht. No decent diving around there I saw. Some out on the reef, but a decent run away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom