Diving in Malaysia around November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liveaboard is out, apparently it's chartered.

options as I see them are Mabul divers, or mabul beach resort.

mabul divers will be done through a booking agency in Australia I've used before an liked, Mabul beach resort I'll do it myself.

I'm also going to spend the last few days in the jungle.

Bracko,
I'm looking to stay on the liveaboard in the second or third week of November and am trying to find a buddy to share so I don't have to pay the single supplement. What dates was the boat chartered for?

liveaboard is out, apparently it's chartered.

options as I see them are Mabul divers, or mabul beach resort.

mabul divers will be done through a booking agency in Australia I've used before an liked, Mabul beach resort I'll do it myself.

I'm also going to spend the last few days in the jungle.

Bracko,
I'm looking to stay on the liveaboard in the second or third week of November and am trying to find a buddy to share so I don't have to pay the single supplement. What dates was the boat chartered for?

The Celebes Explorer is chartered for 13 - 16 and has tentative charters (unconfirmed) for 03 - 09 & 17 - 23, leaving 10 - 12 & 24 - 30 available in November.

I dove Sipidan and it was amazing. Stayed at the Borneo Divers Mabul and took a boat ride from there. Resort was mid-level, not luxury and not much to do other than the diving, but priced right and friendly staff. Food was decent enough for a few days.

I recall that there was a higher end resort (saw it from the boat as we were coming back). But I don't recall the name. It's in the area though (or was, this was 2008).

I recall that there was a higher end resort (saw it from the boat as we were coming back). But I don't recall the name. It's in the area though (or was, this was 2008).

Those tilted chalets? Might be the SWV, Sipadan Water Village and SMART, Sipadan MAbul ResorT.. In mabul island.

also just got back from Mabul. Stayed at Scuba Junkies Mabul Resort. It certainly has backpacker elements to it, but a varied clientel, I mainly dived with an older couple from Poland who were lovely, there were also other non backpackers (like myself) staying with them and generally just really nice people. luckily we had some good divers and enough to head to some sites that aren't often dived by SJ (and it looked like not dived by any of the Mabul operations either) so it more than kept me entertained. Excluding night dives which are only out the front (but among the best night dives I've done) I think i did 3 or 4 dive sites twice in 9 days, and two of those were Sipadan's Barracuda Point and The Drop Off. Secret dive site of the trip was Second Wall off Mabul, fantastic submerged reef.

I'll write up a bit more of a report later. but the short version is that everything was above average if not excellent with the resort and diving operation. would recommend to anyone, couples, groups, single travellers trying to avoid the huge cost of some of the other resorts. people were easy to meet, diving operation was competent guides varied in skills some excellent at spotting macro and had a huge amount of knowledge of marine reef flora and forna, some just spotting the 'known' items of the sites... such as Elvis.

food was good, mix of local style food and more western food. they don't serve pork or seafood at the resort, so it's either chicken or beef. I ate mainly vego options which was fine. bar is a little on the expensive side, but it's a resort, trapped market, and it's one of the nicer bars on the island, so I think the 10 RMB for beer was high, but understandable.

dynamite fishing is definately in the area. very sad to hear them (and feel a few!) throughout the dives and see very few mature reef fish on the barrier reef. It seem strange there isn't more of an effort to get blue water fish farming more prominate in the area, it seems to be ripe for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom