Diving in Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rather liked the chaotic untidy feel! Gozo's certainly better than Malta itself above water and below from what I hear.

I'd love to go to Egypt but we've just had a baby so it's a bit of a no no with all the stomach bugs, etc.

dnhill - surprised you didn't like the Harbour at Valetta, I thought it was quite spectacular with all the old buildings built up on the sides, etc.

Seems it's the kind of place you love or hate. I think Dorsetboy has a good point, the whole country is quite chaotic. The roads and public transport could do with a bit of an update, but perhaps that's it's charm.

Malta is a bizarre place, that some love and some hate, but should stay the way it is.

I have only been there twice but am thinking about going back there in april/may.

The diving is both better and worse than the red sea in my opinion, not a lot of reef fish, but a variety of easily accessible and interesting wrecks. I like the way the diving is done there, all hop in a jeep and take off, i Like the fact that there is always one diveable shore.

The atmosphere and people of Malta are great and the quirkiness of the culture along with the complexity of the history are amazing.

Some times I reckon I wouldn't go to Malta again, cos its so cheap to go to Sharm, but to be honest you can't compare the two.

Best Dives; Blue Grotto, Um el Faroud, Rozi, HMS Maori, etc etc
Tips; Agree about the chinese, its great, Consider Maltaqua, consider some DPV dives.

Have fun

Conor

BTW looks like a good a useful site (the one created by the original poster). Not sure about some of the history though, I though the Maori was a Destroyer and sunk while under tow back to valetta well after the air attack? A lot of the damage seen was caused as it was dragged out of the shipping lane. I am probably wrong but curious to find out

hms maori-moored at dockyard creek recieving a direct hit from a bomb exploding in her engine room.Some of her own ammunition detonated and she sank.she was raised and salvaged before being set down in st.elmo bay there she can now be found on the sandy slope at about 13-17mtr

Taken from

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jproc/haida_ext/backgrounder/maori.html

On 12th February 1941 at 0200, while anchored at Malta, MAORI was attacked from the air and a bomb found its way into her Engine and Gear Room. The Tribal blew up and sank, still moored at the emergency destroyer buoy at the entrance to Dockyard Creek. Crews from other ships helped in the rescue work as blazing oil spread across the water. Since off-duty personnel customarily slept ashore in shelters while in Malta, only one man was killed in the attack. At daybreak, MAORI'S forepart still showed above the water and the wreck seriously interfered with shipping movements but it was decided to leave her there for the time being. Her 'A' and 'B' guns were still in good order so it was suggested that those guns be mounted on the Ricassoli Breakwater for the Army's use.

Bombs still fell on MAORI during succeeding air attacks. By the end of 1942, the Admiralty decided that her wreck should be lifted, moved out of Grand Harbour and set down off Sliema. On the 5th July 1945, MAORI'S hulk was scuttled finally in deep water far away from the harbour.

If you go to Malta, you have to try the diveshop Maltaqua. They are very good.
It's always nice to dive. Malta has there unique things also....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom