Diving in Oman and Dubai while on a cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be taking a cruise to the Middle East in 2009, and I'm looking into the diving opportunities. We'll have several stops where diving appears to be possible; I've posted questions about the Red Sea port stops in the Red Sea forum, and I'll ask my questions about the others here.

The port stops outside of the Red Sea are Salalah and Khasab, Oman, and Dubai. Let's go backwards here...We actually end the cruise in Dubai, so if it would appear worthwhile, I can extend my stay by a day or two to get in some diving. My question is, should I look for diving opportunities right there in Dubai, or should I consider diving off Muscat, Oman? Should I stay in Dubai, or perhaps travel to Muscat and spend the last night or two there, to find the best diving? Any recommendations for dive ops at either location?

As for the other two port stops, we have limited time there so if I'm going to dive, it would have to be local. IS there local diving from Salalah or Khasab? If so, any recommendations for dive ops?

If you'd like to comment on my questions about my other port stops (Aqaba and Safaga), please see my post in the Red Sea forum. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Probably the best diving in this region is around Khasab.
As for Dubai forget diving here as the vis has been ruined by the large offshore construction projects, but there is good diving in Fujairah, about 1.5 hours from Dubai.

People in dubai usually book their diving trip in dubai but they dive in Fujirah or khasab. so i would suggest that you stay in Fujairah and they have few couple resorts and i suggest Miramar nice resort

as people said above the diving in Fujeirah is much better than dubai, although if you love wrecks then dubai is the place for you. Fujeirah is mainly reef dives and can range from 5m through to 30+.
A good outfit to dive with is Al Boom Diving, google their website for contact details, they can set you up with a couple of nice reef dives in fujeirah or can arrange a trip up the coast to the musandum peninsula (oman) for a full day trip with 2 dives off a fast boat.
You dont say when you are coming but if it is anythime soon then bear in mind that there is a red tide at the minute, its getting better slowly but it will take a while to get completly clear.
Hope this helps.

Just to let you know that the red tide seems to have gone. I was diving Dibba Rock yesterday with Freestyle Divers (00971 9 2445756) in the Royal Beach Hotel and we saw 4 blacktips, too many turtles to count, ++.

I went to dive the Dara ,which is an old wreck off the coast of Umm Al Quwain (40 minutes from Dubai), earlier this week. The vis was low but it was still a great dive. The diversity of marine life on the west coast is lower then in Dibba (Fujairah) but you get to see huge schools of barracuda, arabian anglefish, lots of nudibranch, stings rays and the odd game fish.

I would suggest staying in one of the 5 star hotels on the East coast. Fujairah Rotana and Mirimar Al Aqah are great hotels that are currently offering excellent room rates due to the recession. Both will also help you book diving with Freestyle Divers.

Cheers

the one I DON'T recommend you is extra divers musandam in Khasab, the manager is just horrible and it is quite expensive compared to what they offer. Dibbah should be better if you decide to stay in Dubai, but if you go to Muscat you have the chance to visit some nice town inside the country, too :wink:

OK, here wo go.
i dont recommend Dibba Rock or anything in Fujeirah if you want to do some decent diving.
Diving in northern Musandam Aera is better, but honestly nothing that really strikes you except sometimes a leopard shark and tons of different rays (pointed nose, electric and torpedo, eagle rays, ...) If you are comparing Muscat Area to Musandam and the East Coast, then the place to go is DAYMANIYAT ISLANDS. It is wonderful, the garden eden of the gulf and even of Asia I dare to say. Check my pictures and YouTube (search for gernotdiver) to get an impression.

Furthermore the link to the hotel (which is nothing special and a lil rundown but fairly cheap) with the Dive Centre.
http://www.alsawadibeach.com/main.html
They are running 4 boats to go the daymaniyat islands from their beach and they possess the special license to conduct diving at those islands, as it is a natural reserve. Check my latest pics, have been there just last weekend.

Last edited:
Will I can help you dive in daymaniyat island!!!

just PM and will arrange somthing for you... I deal with few dive centers in Muscat, so I can get cheap prices for you if ur interested to come to Muscat,,,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom