Diving Lake Malawi & Schistosomiasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys, I have just figured out that I might be going to Malawi or Uganda next summer, and I am looking to doing some of the best freshwater diving in the world. Now what I am wondering about is that nasty little Schistosoma mansoni parasite that is supposedly found in Lake Malawi. Now I know that this little forum here is more about so and so diving Sharm in April or what not, but does anyone know about some precautions I should take to not get this nasty little bug? I have about a year on this, so I am in no rush. Thanks a lot.

~ Zack

I have dived in Lake Malawi a few years ago- there are wonderful divesites, and if you have a chance to dive there- do it.
Regarding the Schistosoma: I understand that it is a parasite hosted on some sort of black, conical snails. These snails can be found only in specific streams (e.g. they are not in every river and in each water resin). You can probably ask for more information in the WHO website, among dozens of other sites with travel-medicine information. In my opinion, local dive clubs usually know about the condition of the water. We did a lot of boat dives, and the parasite is apparently of less concern.

Enjoy Malawi :)

I know this is old , but anyway the parasite only occurs at one particular site on the South of the lake according to a very reliable source (a doctor who dived there).

I will try to find the name of the beach for you.

Safe Diving

Andrew

that beach in the south is probably near Monkey Bay or the inlet of the Shire River
I was in Malawi in 2002 and did most of my diving from boats in the southern part (mozambique, minos reef, mbenji island, cape maclear)
I was told you dont need to worry about Schisto aka bilharzia if you avoid the places where people bathe... oh yeah. and it IS the best freshwater diving in the world. I plan to retire there.

Thanks for the recent input. Good to know, but still... I don't want to take my chances. The bug sounds really nasty if you get it, so I am going to steer clear until I get there and figure out the real deal.

But just tell me... how good is it down there?

artw is right , the place he mentions is the only area that it occurs . Apparently the diving there is really good judging by all of the personal accounts from dive buddies .

Safe Diving

Andrew

The schisto is only prevalent where the snails live... this is pretty much the southern area around monkey bay (where there are reeds that the snails live on).
I stayed in Nkhata bay, on the north west side of the lake. There's next to no vegetation in the water there, and the hosts of the hostel (Anjaya - recommended) let their 3 year old swim in the water.
Did a couple of dives with Aqua Africa - recommended. It's freshwater, and you get to see cichlids, which are fun... just don't go expecting it to be Tofo!

Also, the snails that harbour this parasite only live in the water along the shoreline, so as long as you are making a boat dive you should be pretty much safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom