Diving the Thistlegorm no liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.
I and my dive buddy and friend, and perhaps one more diver want to dive multiple times the Thistlegorm. We do not plan to dive from a liveaboard as the Thistlegorm seems to be dived only two times. We want to make perhaps 4 day dives and one or two night dives in that wreck.
Also, some other nice wreck could be added to the journey.
We live in South America and this could be an all lifetime dive excursion, so we want to dive as much as possible but on a budget.
I've heard that there are all day trips from Hurghada and Sharm to the Thistlegorm. From what I've seen in Google maps, the distance from Hurghada or Sharm to the wreck site is almost the same.
Which city is better to stay or have the most convenient dive boats for that type of trip ?
Some one told us about Camel Dive Club, but it seems to be only in Sharm.
In some other posts Safaga and Somabay were mentioned, but those places are even more to the south and far from the Thistlegorm.

Hi!

Based on my experience, I don't see how you could log 5-6 consecutive Thislegorm dives unless you charter your own boat, and overnight at the site, which would be expensive.

Day boats tend to offer 3 dives and then return to port. The third dive may not even be at the Thislegorm but somewhere along the return journey. Perhaps Ras Mohammed, if departing from Sharm el Sheikh.

I've been on a liveaboard that offered 2 daytime dives and a night dive, plus an early morning dive the next day before sailing on to the next site. That's the most dives I've ever seen offered at Thislegorm.

Perhaps Emperor Divers' Get Wrecked! route (or whatever they call it these days) might offer more Thislegorm dives, but I doubt it. Abu Nuhas has many interesting wrecks and most divers would prefer to move on after 3-4 dives, I think.

I appreciate you say a liveaboard is not an option for you, but please note that Umbi Divers and Snefro Fleet offer 3-4 night liveaboard trips from Sharm, often going as far as the Thislegorm. I doubt if they would offer more than 2-3 Thislegorm dives, though, as they aim for variety.

Perhaps others can think of a better option.

Good luck!

I have dived the Thistlegorm numerous times.

Once was via a dayboat from Sharm with Emperor. It involved a very early start (maybe 5am meet) and then just two dives on the Thistlegorm. It is several hours motor from Sharm so you don't get that long on the wreck. Also all the day boats turn up at the same time, so it can get a bit busy in the water. My recollections of the dives were more of a guided tour following a set route.

I think I have visited it four times by liveaboard, might be five. Depending on the route each trip had between 2 and 4 dives on the wreck, including a night dive. The liveaboard experience is far better as you can time your dives awat from the day boats. Also the dive guides have a bit more confidence in the divers so are happy to let you explore on your own.

If you do want to dive by day boat then you will be best to base yourself in Sharm as very few dive centres in Hurghada offer Thistlegorm trips.

I don't know why you're ruling out a liveaboard. I dove the Thistlegorm 4 times on a liveaboard. As others have mentioned you'll likely get more dives on a liveaboard and it will be less crowded on the dive site. Why not plan a liveaboard and then stay a few days after on land in case you want to dive it more times?

Best will in the world, I would just sign on a “get wrecked” or “northern wrecks” liveaboard trip, usually you get 3-4 dives on thistlegorm anyway, and I think you’d be robbing yourself not to enjoy some of the other very good wrecks on the itinerary,,, I actually think Rosalie moller is better from certain perspectives, Ghianis D is fantastic also.
Do a live aboard week I promise you would not regret it,,

I don't know why you're ruling out a liveaboard. I dove the Thistlegorm 4 times on a liveaboard. As others have mentioned you'll likely get more dives on a liveaboard and it will be less crowded on the dive site. Why not plan a liveaboard and then stay a few days after on land in case you want to dive it more times?
I agree liveaboard is the way to go.

Plus you should bear in mind that day trips to the Thislegorm from Sharm are dependant on demand. If not enough divers sign up, they'll cancel the trip.

Plus I think thistlegorm done on a day trip is an early get up long day,,, (I’ve heard horror stories of dehydration and sunburn)

I'll be there next week, on the Allstar Liveaboards boat Scuba Scene.

Our itinerary is 3 dives on the Thistlegorm. 1 afternoon, 1 night, and 1 the next morning.

Our boat supports tech diving and we will have doubles and deco gas. I'm expecting we will at least get a good, long dive on it for that first dive, in the afternoon.

I'll be there a week Saturday - Northern Wrecks, Ras Mohamed, Tiran, Brothers Islands.
We have 3 dives on Thisltlegorm, same schedule as stuartv above (afternoon, night and morning), also diving the Chrisoula K, Dunraven, Giannis D, Carnatic, Numidia and Salem Express (I've dived the 'Gorm, Dunraven and Salem before).

I did a get wrecked itinerary with emperor. it was three on the thistlegorm and 2 on the rosalie muller iirc along with a smattering of the abu nuhas wrecks. tekstreme did the support if you wanted doubles/SM/deco gas/ccr consumables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom