Red Sea dive site recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrandWazoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about a Liveaboard in the Red Sea in late September or October, minimum 8 days, up to two weeks.
What is the best all around trip that hits the best spots, I have seen some potentially nice trips that don't include the wrecks, is it better to include those in an additional/short 4 day trip.
I am in the incipient stages of research, so please excuse my ignorance of the region, I've mostly read that Thistlegorm is a must do dive but not a lot on the rest of the region. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
GW

If you have two weeks spare I would do two different week long liveaboards. One week on a ‘wrecks and reef’ itinerary, than a week on a ‘Brothers, Daedalus & Elphinestone’ itinerary. That way you can to see all the best areas. Some boats offer a ‘Brothers and North’ route, this will dive the Brothers as well as some of the Northern sites including Thistlegorm and Abu Nuhas wrecks - that would be my recommendation for a one week trip.

A few boats do offer two week trips, but these are fairly rare. I am fairly sure any of these longer routes would cover most of the key sites.

I did back to back BDE and St Johns/Daedalus in 2016, a really great trip

Personally I would tick the box with the brothers/thistlegorm etc and then try to get down south. I usually go on 3 x back to back weeks on different boats when I do a Red Sea trip and honestly prefer the Deep South trips, if for nothing more than the less crowded sites although overall I prefer the dive sites in the south as well.

Personally I would tick the box with the brothers/thistlegorm etc and then try to get down south. I usually go on 3 x back to back weeks on different boats when I do a Red Sea trip and honestly prefer the Deep South trips, if for nothing more than the less crowded sites although overall I prefer the dive sites in the south as well.

+ 1

go where there is less people ! (Zabargad, Rocky island, far south St John's,...)

I’d also add that it’s not that difficult to hop a ride with the crew from hurghadha to ghalib, particularly if you are doing 2 x trips with the same company. I’ll usually do MY BLUE if it’s available or the emperor boats. It’s not a bad call to follow the Germans as they gravitate to the more luxurious boats (My Blue etc.) but you get a good crowd of Brits usually on the emperors. Never done aggressors in Red Sea, especially after one sunk. Keep those for the Caribbean :)

Yes, I can't help but feel that Sunn is right about the Aggressor boats in the Red Sea: probably not great value for money but they cater to divers who find reassurance in the brand. I think it may be especially true of US divers on one-off Red Sea trips. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Yes, I can't help but feel that Sunn is right about the Aggressor boats in the Red Sea: probably not great value for money but they cater to divers who find reassurance in the brand. I think it may be especially true of US divers on one-off Red Sea trips. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
Of course not, everyone goes where he wants and how he wants to... and has to pay for it

:facepalm:

a cada uno lo suyo (Parlem, como se dice en català ?)

Back
Top Bottom