Diving Monterey questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Hello Northern California Divers,

This weekend (September 26-29) my girlfriend and I are travelling up to Monterey and are hoping to get some diving in (probably Sunday). We are both newly certified (just finished the 4 week YMCA OW course) so we are definitely in need of advice.

I would like to know:
Where is a good place for beginners to dive?
Is it better for us to just pay for a tour?
Where is a reasonable place to rent gear (those I have found online seem expensive)?

Any suggestions at all would be great. We are quite open to different diving experiences. We are not stuck on the idea of taking a tour but we just want advice for spending a reasonable amount of money and staying within our skill limitations.

Thanks so much in advance!
Raposa

I see you're based in San Diego (me too). I've dived in Monterey a few times and it can be very challenging diving. The water is colder up there than it is in SoCal, generally in the 48-50 degree range, so if you're diving wet you'll need to take that into account. Also, ocean conditions can get challenging up there, with big swells and strong surge. Don't get me wrong-- it's not like that all the time, but vs. your average day in SoCal, it's more likely to be less favorable for easy, comfortable diving. I would recommend hitting up the local dive shops--and there are a fair number of them in Monterey--to get their advice on where to dive. For more info go to www.montereyinfo.org and click on the Recreation link (left hand side of the home page), then click the Scuba Diving link. Good luck and enjoy that gorgeous area.

I will be in Monterey in November myself. I found a couple sources online. There's a great website you should check out -

Gary's Scuba Page

Be sure you post here after your trip. I would like to know how your diving was.

raposarose once bubbled...
Hello Northern California Divers,

This weekend (September 26-29) my girlfriend and I are travelling up to Monterey and are hoping to get some diving in (probably Sunday). We are both newly certified (just finished the 4 week YMCA OW course) so we are definitely in need of advice.

I would like to know:
Where is a good place for beginners to dive?
Is it better for us to just pay for a tour?
Where is a reasonable place to rent gear (those I have found online seem expensive)?

Any suggestions at all would be great. We are quite open to different diving experiences. We are not stuck on the idea of taking a tour but we just want advice for spending a reasonable amount of money and staying within our skill limitations.

Thanks so much in advance!
Raposa

Beginners in Monterey dive Breakwater, Mcabee, Lovers, and a few other places, depending on conditions.

Breakwater and Mcabee are reasonably protected...The huge surf and large swells are often found outside the bay at places like Monestary and Butterfly house (don't even think of going to these places as a new diver) .

Start out at Breakwater, have some fun, and then maybe move to Lovers.

As for rentals, I'm not renting, but know that Monterey Bay Dive Center(MBDC) and Aquarius are places I've been to.

MBDC is right across from Breakwater, and is where I get most of my air fills.

The water is a few degrees colder in Monterey as compared to SD (I was certified in La Jolla), so make sure you use a 7mil wetsuit with hood, booties, etc.

I'll be diving Monterey this weekend also.

I second everything what scubasean said.

Breakwater is really nice, in that the parking is right next to the beach, and there are a couple of freshwater showers where you can rinse yourself and your gear. The diving is also very good for a place that is so accessible, if you know where to go.

If you would like a guide, make sure you call ahead and try to arrange something. I haven't talked to anyone who has hired one, but I would be surprised if they have someone available at a moment's notice.

The visibility has been on the worse end of the spectrum the past couple of weeks. Let's hope it gets better this weekend.

Hope you have fun..

The Breakwater is the place to go for beginning dives, it's really sweet:) you have a nice gradual decline along the bottom, and you have a wall to help orient yourself, there is also a shower near bye to rinse off.
There are 2 dive shops within walking distance from the breakwater, I use Morro Bay Dive Shop, by the Cannery Row, good people. DO watch out for the other mammals along the wall- they have been bothersome this year, apparently zeN

Thanks for the advice, that's what I was looking for! I will feel comfortable diving a place like you have described without having to pay the $150 for a tour. I didn't feel good about paying almost as much for a guide as I did for my Open Water Certification!

I'll go to the dive shop and get more specific advice when I get there too.

I'm looking forward and I'll come back and post how the trip was.

Thank you,
Raposa

Breakwater is also the place where tons of OW classes are held. When you get in the viz will be lousy as all the sand is kicked up by the classes. Kick out and it clears up.

As a bonus for the new diver, due to all the classes there, on any weekend you'll find 10 instructors, 25 divemasters and scores of rescue divers around. If you need advice or get into trouble there will be lots of people to help.

Enjoy.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom