Diving Near Rome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salvo62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rome is well known for history and art, yet there are some interesting diving spots nearby. Sixty km from Rome, easily reached by an excellent motorway, there is Civitavecchia, an interesting diving spot for wreck enthusiasts. Personally, I have dived at least a dozen times on the wreck of the Asia, a dredger cut in half and sunk as an anti-trawl reef. The wreck is only a few minutes from the coast, and ranges from -27 to -37 m. In winter, for those who are not disturbed by the poor visibility, the view of the wreck emerging from the milky water is impressive. In summer, visibility is better and one can appreciate the hull section cut in half. If the conditions are suitable (not always), it is possible to penetrate into an upper corridor where the presence of large portholes allows easy orientation. An excellent opportunity to approach wreck diving. It is advisable to use a dry suit and a technical configuration. There are some good diving clubs, I dive with the Blue Shark diving. The club members are friendly, the owner Andrea Pierfederici is very experienced, he can really guide you on this wreck and other diving spots. There are other more challenging wrecks, such as the Liburna (-40), which I hope to see in the near future, or the Adernò (-60), which is out of my interest and is for particularly experienced divers.

Back
Top Bottom