Diving Question Beginner C-Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its kind of cool how many posts popped up on this thread. I guess its because we all were once newly certified and can relate.

Many who have post have very good advice. I think your basic question was who you should book with as a beginner, which I think is a very good question and a few of the above posts had a few recommendations.

The only thing I would add to finding a good op for you is asking if they have any other new divers that would be on the boat. For me personally, it really reduced the stress level having other divers at the same level as me (in addition to a real good DM).

You will really fall in love with diving in Cozumel as many of us have. Try not to stress too much (easier said than done) and enjoy your experience.

Cheers,
John

Agreeing. Completely.

Well good. I was feeling a little self conscious there....

self-conscious.jpg

I just received my c-card and wondering the best places for a beginner to dive? Does anyone have experiece diving different reefs and reccomend one? My instructor said drift diving there is amazing. Does anyone know where this is done and the max depth?

I did my first dives after certification at the same site where we did our check out dives.

If you're looking for a foreign location with easy diving for beginners then there are some places like Marsa Shagra in the south of Egypt that I would recommend.

My experience of Cozumel and Mexico in general is that most of the sites are fairly deep and currents can be heavy. This is also the case around much of the Mediterranean. What you're looking for now is easy access, unlimited diving and stuff to see that is shallow and interesting.

R..

My first 20 or so dives after certification were in Cozumel, and by the time I hit 120 dives, most were still in Cozumel. I did not find the diving overly challenging for my beginning skills at all. I had a great time, and it really made me want to make diving an important part of my life.

On the other hand....

I had been there before with relatives, and they saw me loving the diving and knew how much I was into it. My brother-in-law therefore got certified in the states prior to our next vacation together in Cozumel. We went diving together, and I was surprised by the strength of the current. I had never seen it that strong. It was like that every day we dived. The current was not only strong, it was unusual in that on some dives it kept trying to sweep us off the reef. That means we had to work, not just drift with it. My brother-in-law was not having a good time. I kept telling him this was very unusual. The DMs said the same thing. He loved Cozumel as a vacation location, and he and my sister returned many times for vacations after that. He never dived again, though--anywhere.

So, I would say the odds are you will have a great time. On the other hand....

I just received my c-card and wondering the best places for a beginner to dive? Does anyone have experiece diving different reefs and reccomend one? My instructor said drift diving there is amazing. Does anyone know where this is done and the max depth?

Cozumel diving is amazing and any of the dive ops there could help you out...I myself use and recommend Blue Magic...

Cozumel Diving, Cozumel Scuba Diving, Cozumel Diving Packages, Lessons, Snorkeling, Blue Magic Scuba

but whoever you go with, as has already been mentioned, let them know your a beginner and they will work with you accordingly.

My first ocean dives were at Cozumel. Certainly memorable, I have returned 3 more times. I had no problem with the dives. There was current and I guess since it was on my first dives I don't think anything about it now. The dive operator knew of my being a new diver and we went to the more shallow, less current dives. It was a great time and I will always remember that first time in saltwater, a shore dive from the Hotel Cozumel pier. Remember your training, watch your air and depth closely and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom