Diving Skills - North and South Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

does not sound bad the way you described. Maybe I just have a bad impression about strong currents because 2 dives we did in Thailand last year. In one of them I could barely keep moving againt the current and after 15 minutes of constant and hard trying our dive master decided to gave up the dive.

An OK swimming would not be a problem at all!

Right. Just keep in mind that is how you need to judge those far south sites, unless the conditions are right you don't even want to dive them at all. First conditions need to be right and then you need to see how the current is, if it's just too much work you know you can adjust your position in the water as the current changes usually with depth and how close you are to the reef and such, if you can't get to a comfortable place in the water column then it's probably not going to be enjoyable for you to dive it and you'll just want to get out and go somewhere else. But those far south sites are the least dived and that's for a reason - conditions aren't always right to dive them, but when you do dive them you'll be rewarded with a great experience as those sites are really lush and different than the others all up along the coast heading north. You will almost always be the only divers at those sites and be one of the few divers who visit Bonaire who have dived them.

Right. Just keep in mind that is how you need to judge those far south sites, unless the conditions are right you don't even want to dive them at all. First conditions need to be right and then you need to see how the current is, if it's just too much work you know you can adjust your position in the water as the current changes usually with depth and how close you are to the reef and such, if you can't get to a comfortable place in the water column then it's probably not going to be enjoyable for you to dive it and you'll just want to get out and go somewhere else. But those far south sites are the least dived and that's for a reason - conditions aren't always right to dive them, but when you do dive them you'll be rewarded with a great experience as those sites are really lush and different than the others all up along the coast heading north. You will almost always be the only divers at those sites and be one of the few divers who visit Bonaire who have dived them.

Awesome! My fiancee is not as adventurous as I am, so if the diving conditions are less than optimal we will probably look somewhere else. I was just afraid that the Northern sites would be really hard with strong currents, just for really good swimmers. If that is not the case and the situation is good for it we wil most likely try those less crowded sites!!! Can't wait for October!

The issue I recall with the Northern sites, Caral's vision and Nukove, was that the reef came up shallow so you had to find a way through it to the crest. We used an smb to mark our exit point at the reef crest for the return.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of dive sites between Vista Blue and Karpata to keep you happy on your first visit.

The only site where the current ever annoyed me was at Bari. Maybe it was because a nice case of Norovirus started to hit me half way through the dive. Sometimes the current seems to kick up at the sites that are between the mainland and Klein.

You didn't mention where you were staying or who you were diving with but depending on that boat dives are easy and get you to sites with less effort, especially if staying at a place with a boat. House reefs are a great option as well. If where you are staying does not have one, check around at the house reefs and whether they are open or have a fee. Capt Dons, Buddys, Divi all have nice house reefs with easy access.

Hi all, sorry for hijacking the thread; I am new to SB and have to shamefully admit that I cannot find the "start a thread" icon..can anyone help out?

Hi all, sorry for hijacking the thread; I am new to SB and have to shamefully admit that I cannot find the "start a thread" icon..can anyone help out?

Maybe this will help. :D

PNT.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom